Question about the role of mass in inclined planes

In summary, when more people are on a sled, the air resistance against it is increased, which makes it go faster.
tovisonnenberg
Hi! I have a question about inclined planes. In the diagram I attached, you can see that, with or without friction, mass does not affect the acceleration of the block. However, in my experience, the more people I put on my sled, the faster it goes. Why is this?
IMG_0005.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Sled, as in snow? Snow doesn't work like a hard, dry surface for friction. It compacts and maybe even melts a little against the sled.

Likes vanhees71
russ_watters said:
Sled, as in snow? Snow doesn't work like a hard, dry surface for friction. It compacts and maybe even melts a little against the sled.
Ah, so a combination of greater compaction and a little melting decreases the coefficient of friction?

tovisonnenberg said:
Ah, so a combination of greater compaction and a little melting decreases the coefficient of friction?
Considerably. Every try ice-skating on a hardwood floor? Same principle

Likes vanhees71, russ_watters and tovisonnenberg
So a related question is why wind resistance and rolling resistance are different from friction on an inclined plane. Clearly extra weight makes masses fall faster in air, and makes bike riders accelerate faster down hills...

tovisonnenberg said:
Hi! I have a question about inclined planes. In the diagram I attached, you can see that, with or without friction, mass does not affect the acceleration of the block. However, in my experience, the more people I put on my sled, the faster it goes. Why is this?
In general, air resistance depends on the surface area in the direction of travel. If one person is sitting behind another on the sled, then you have twice the mass and twice the gravitational force against almost the same air resistance.

For example, in the bob-sled competitions there is a maximum weight allowance.

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/snow-sports/bobsled2.htm

"Heavier sleds go faster, so teams that do not reach the maximum occupied weight may add ballasts to make their bob heavier. Officials weigh the sleds at the end of the run to make sure they meet the weight requirement."

I guess it makes sense that all sleds are weighed up to the maximum - otherwise the heaviest team would probably win. I had no idea that teams could add ballast - but that does explain why generally there are only a few hundredths of a second between teams. The difference between first and last in a bob-sled competition is essentially experimental error!

1. What is the role of mass in inclined planes?

The mass of an object affects its ability to move up or down an inclined plane. Objects with larger masses will require more force to move up an inclined plane compared to objects with smaller masses.

2. How does mass affect the speed of an object on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object does not affect its speed on an inclined plane. The angle of the incline and the force of gravity are the main factors that determine the speed of an object on an inclined plane.

3. Does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. Objects with larger masses will have a slower acceleration compared to objects with smaller masses.

4. What is the relationship between mass and force on an inclined plane?

The relationship between mass and force on an inclined plane is that the force required to move an object up or down the plane is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that the greater the mass, the greater the force needed to move it.

5. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the role of mass?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the role of mass by changing the amount of force needed to move an object up or down the plane. As the angle of the incline increases, the force required to move an object also increases, making it more difficult for objects with larger masses to move up the plane.