How Far Does a Block Travel Up an Incline Before Stopping?

In summary, the question is about finding the distance traveled by a block sliding down an inclined plane with a constant velocity and then projected back up the same plane with an initial speed. The net force on the way down is zero, but the force of friction and gravity act in opposite directions. To find the force and acceleration on the way up, the force of friction and gravity act in the same direction. The kinematic equation v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad will be used to find the distance traveled.
pulau_tiga
Inclided plane

Hi!

I have a physics question.

A block with mass m=14.7 kg slides down an inclined plane of slope angle 44.4* with a constant velocity. It is then projected up the same plane with an initial speed 2.55 m/s. How far up the incline will the block move before coming to rest?

I know that Fnet in the x-direct (assuming x-axis is parallel to the inclined). is 0 since there is no acceleration, but constant V. Therefore Fparallel + -friction = 0. Uk = tan(44.4).

On the way back up:
Fnetx = ma
Fapp + -f + -Fgx = ma
This does not work out, as I get a to = 0.

I need acceleration in order to find the distance traveled up the incline. Using
Vf = Vi + 2ad

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you realize, on the way down the net force is zero. Use this fact to figure out the force of friction. Hint: On the way down, friction and gravity (the component parallel to the plane) act in opposite directions; on the way up, they act in the same direction. Use this fact to find the force and then the acceleration on the way up.

Also: The kinematic equation you will need is [itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad[/itex].

Last edited:

Hi there!

First, let's start by finding the acceleration of the block as it slides down the inclined plane. We can use the equation Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force acting on the block, m is its mass, and a is the acceleration. Since the block is moving at a constant velocity, we know that the net force must be zero. This means that the force of gravity pulling the block down the incline (Fgx) must be balanced by the force of friction (Ff), which is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction (uk) times the normal force (Fn) of the plane on the block. So we have Fgx = ukFn. We also know that Fgx = mg and Fn = mgcos(44.4), so we can substitute these values into our equation to get mg = ukmgcos(44.4). This simplifies to uk = cos(44.4), which is approximately 0.72. So the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.72. Now we can find the acceleration by rearranging our equation to a = Fnet/m and plugging in our values for Fnet and m. This gives us a = (ukFn)/m = (0.72 x mgcos(44.4))/m = gcos(44.4) = 9.8 x cos(44.4) = 7.06 m/s^2.

Now, let's use this acceleration to find the distance traveled up the incline. We can use the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance traveled. We know that Vf = 0 since the block comes to rest, Vi = 2.55 m/s, and a = 7.06 m/s^2. Plugging these values in, we get 0 = (2.55)^2 + 2(7.06)d, which simplifies to d = -1.44 m. This negative distance just means that the block will travel 1.44 m back down the incline before coming to rest.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your physics studies!

Related to How Far Does a Block Travel Up an Incline Before Stopping?

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is at an angle to the ground. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object to a higher point.

2. How does an inclined plane affect velocity?

An inclined plane can change the velocity of an object by increasing or decreasing its speed and direction. For example, if an object is moving up an inclined plane, its velocity will decrease due to the force of gravity pulling it down. On the other hand, if an object is moving down an inclined plane, its velocity will increase due to the force of gravity aiding its movement.

3. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect velocity?

The angle of an inclined plane can have a significant impact on the velocity of an object. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting on the object also increases, causing the velocity to decrease. However, if the angle is decreased, the force of gravity decreases, and the object's velocity will increase.

4. Can an object reach a constant velocity on an inclined plane?

Yes, an object can reach a constant velocity on an inclined plane. This occurs when the force of gravity pulling the object down the incline is equal to the force of friction pushing it up the incline. At this point, the object's velocity will remain constant, as there is no net force acting on it.

5. How is the velocity of an object on an inclined plane calculated?

The velocity of an object on an inclined plane can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In the case of an object on an inclined plane, the acceleration is caused by the force of gravity, and the angle of the incline must be taken into account when determining the initial velocity and acceleration.