Increase the maximum voltage rating of semiconducter

In summary, Baluncore was looking for ways to increase a transistor or thyristor maximum voltage ratting in DC, and found that there are ways, but it depends on the reason they need to do it. He plans to use a voltage multiplier and a transformer to control the commutation before the transformer.
HVlad
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way of increasing a transistor or thyristor maximum voltage ratting in DC?
Thanks.

Edit: Just to be more precise, I am referring to the off state. I know you can the on state via a resistor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Yes, there are ways, but how you do it depends on why you need to do it.
Can you give an example where you need a higher voltage rating.

Voltage multipliers such as Marx and Cockcroft-Walton_generators build ladders for high voltage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcroft–Walton_generator

Thanks for the welcome.

Basically I want to study electrets, molecular structures, interactions, etc. So obviously, I need to use high voltage components. The reason I am asking is because I need to control when and how some plates are charged but the transistors and thyristors I found are underrated. Oh and I can`t use relays because of the frequency of some experiments and the higher cost.
I was thinking of using a transformer and a voltage multiplier then control the commutation before the transformer but that would mean a lot of transformers and a lag at the vm output.

HVlad said:
So obviously, I need to use high voltage components.
What voltage? What frequency? What waveform, sine or square?

The voltage will be a bit over 10 kV. I will be using pulses.
In any case I think I figured it out and this is kinda embarrassing. It was right in front of me but since I haven`t worked with these kind of circuits I didn`t notice. For those that might do something similar:
If using a voltage multiplier just insert a transistor that can withstand the input voltage(+ error margin) and it should be fine. Obviously, if I got this wrong do correct me.

Thank you, Baluncore, for your time and input.

Mods:
Truly sorry for taking up space and then answering my own question! Feel free to delete the thread. :))

HVlad said:
Mods:
Truly sorry for taking up space and then answering my own question! Feel free to delete the thread. :))
Not a problem. Welcome to the PF.

Please do be careful if this is the first time you are working with high voltages like 10kV. There are some rules for working with such voltages -- can you mention a few of the rules that you know of to help keep you safe? :smile:

Attached is a schematic for a repetative pulse generator in the style of Marx.
A small positive trigger produces a short high voltage negative pulse.
It is modeled here with a few low voltage stages, but could be built with say 16 stages of 650V transistors and components.

Attachments

• BJT_Marx.jpg
    BJT_Marx.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 444
Sorry for the late reply, I was kinda busy the past few days.

berkeman:
Thanks for the heads-up, but yeah. I should be fine, I`ve worked with even higher voltages before; it`s just that although I understand electronics I usually have someone make the circuits.

Baluncore:
Thanks a lot mate! I owe you one.

1. What is the maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor?

The maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor can vary depending on its type and design. However, most standard semiconductors have a maximum voltage rating of around 600 volts.

2. Why would you want to increase the maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor?

Increasing the maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor can allow it to handle higher levels of electricity and therefore be used in more powerful electronic devices.

3. How can the maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor be increased?

The maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor can be increased by using different materials or altering the design of the semiconductor. This can include adding more layers or changing the thickness of the semiconductor's components.

4. Are there any risks associated with increasing the maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor?

Yes, there are potential risks involved in increasing the maximum voltage rating of a semiconductor. If not done properly, it can lead to damage of the semiconductor or even cause it to fail. It is important to carefully design and test any modifications made to the semiconductor to ensure its safety and effectiveness.

5. What are some common applications for semiconductors with increased maximum voltage ratings?

Semiconductors with increased maximum voltage ratings are often used in high-power electronic devices such as electric cars, solar panels, and power grids. They can also be used in industrial equipment, medical devices, and telecommunications systems.