Increasing Compressor Efficiency Question

In summary: Increasing the pressure decreases T, while decreasing the pressure increases T. You can't meaningfully use Pv=nRT on the whole system at once, because pressure, volume, and temperature vary from location to location.In summary, the two commonly discussed ways of improving a compressor's efficiency in a standard refrigeration cycle are: (1) Increase suction pressure- Less dp across compressor, less work. (2) Reduce suction gas temperature- Denser gas, less work.
cskib21
I reference this forum all the time and you guys are always good at breaking down confusing questions so I decided I needed to make an account and get some help with a mental struggle I have been having for quite some time!

Two commonly discussed ways of improving a compressor's efficiency in a standard refrigeration cycle are:

1) Increase suction pressure- Less dp across compressor, less work.
2) Reduce suction gas temperature- Denser gas, less work.

This is confusing to me and I am hoping someone can clarify. My thoughts:
1) When the pressure is increased, the temperature must also increase as well, right? Pv=nRT.
2) And when the temperature of the gas is decreased, the pressure must also decrease as well right?
-assuming v,n and R stay constant in the closed cycle...

So how can both of these measures be true? You are negatively effecting one by improving the other so can't only one of these be correct? Or is it a balance of both?

I can't wrap my head around it, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on refrigeration cycle, but I agree with a reduction on suction gas temperature increasing efficiency since COP = 1 / (TH / TL - 1).

For the other one, sure, reducing the pressure drop across the pump will reduce the pump work, but it will also reduce the temperature differential, thus the efficiency. That would be amazing if one could reduce the pressure drop to zero while maintaining the same heat transfer!

cskib21 said:
I reference this forum all the time and you guys are always good at breaking down confusing questions so I decided I needed to make an account and get some help with a mental struggle I have been having for quite some time!

Two commonly discussed ways of improving a compressor's efficiency in a standard refrigeration cycle are:

1) Increase suction pressure- Less dp across compressor, less work.
2) Reduce suction gas temperature- Denser gas, less work.

This is confusing to me and I am hoping someone can clarify. My thoughts:
1) When the pressure is increased, the temperature must also increase as well, right? Pv=nRT.
2) And when the temperature of the gas is decreased, the pressure must also decrease as well right?
-assuming v,n and R stay constant in the closed cycle...

So how can both of these measures be true? You are negatively effecting one by improving the other so can't only one of these be correct? Or is it a balance of both?

I can't wrap my head around it, any help is appreciated.
You're right, but there are other variables in that equation you can change...

Won't v,n and R stay constant in the closed cycle...?

cskib21 said:
Why be closed?

Or, rather, why make a different cycle, with some parameters different, but not others?

cskib21 said:
n will not necessarily be constant.

If you used the form p = ρRT for the equation, and you know either p, ρ or T, then you are stuck with one equation and two unknowns. You are missing an equation to find a unique solution. For gases, you use pvk = constant (polytropic process assumption) and when phase changes are involved, thermodynamic properties tables are used.

cskib21, you need to think about how a chunk (a given mass) of the gas changes as it travels through the system. You can't meaningfully use Pv=nRT on the whole system at once, because pressure, volume, and temperature vary from location to location. To increase the density (m/v) of the gas before it enters the compressor, you can run it through a heat exchanger. Its volume will decrease, ignoring any pressure change, per Pv=nRT, assuming it acts like an ideal gas.
So the main point is that P, v, and T of the chunk of mass are all variables, dependent on each other.

Related to Increasing Compressor Efficiency Question

1. How can I increase the efficiency of my compressor?

There are several ways to increase the efficiency of your compressor, including regular maintenance and proper sizing. It is also important to ensure that your compressor is not operating at a higher pressure than necessary and that there are no leaks in the system.

2. Can changing the type of compressor improve efficiency?

Yes, changing the type of compressor can improve efficiency. Rotary screw compressors are typically more efficient than reciprocating compressors, and variable speed compressors can adjust their output to match the demand, resulting in increased efficiency.

3. Is it important to use high-quality air filters for increased compressor efficiency?

Yes, using high-quality air filters is crucial for increasing compressor efficiency. Filters help to remove contaminants from the air, which can cause damage to the compressor and decrease efficiency. Regularly replacing filters can also improve efficiency.

4. How does the temperature of the intake air affect compressor efficiency?

The temperature of the intake air can greatly affect compressor efficiency. Cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen, which allows the compressor to operate more efficiently. It is important to keep the intake air as cool as possible for optimal efficiency.

5. Are there any additional technologies or techniques that can improve compressor efficiency?

Yes, there are several additional technologies and techniques that can improve compressor efficiency. These include using variable frequency drives, implementing heat recovery systems, and utilizing air receiver tanks to store compressed air for later use. Properly sizing the compressor and optimizing the air distribution system can also greatly improve efficiency.