Increasing Torque with Gerotor Design: Lengthening, Diameter, and Series

In summary, the torque of a gerotor motor can be increased by increasing the rotor area or the fluid pressure. Running multiple motors in series does not increase torque and is not recommended.
Dano61
How do you increase torque in gerotor design other than increasing flow. Will lengthening it increase torque? Will increasing diameter increase torque? What about running 2 or 3 in series?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Dano61 said:
How do you increase torque in gerotor design other than increasing flow. Will lengthening it increase torque? Will increasing diameter increase torque? What about running 2 or 3 in series?
It looks like a Gerotor is a positive displacement pump: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerotor

What do you mean by "increasing torque"? What flow rate do you want to achieve, and what is the working fluid (water? Oil?)? Thanks.

Likes russ_watters
I assume you are referring to a gerotor hydraulic motor. Anything that increases volume per revolution (displacement) will increase torque. Increasing pressure will increase torque. Connecting three motors in series will increase torque, but could shear the shaft of the third motor. Increasing flow will increase speed, but not torque.

Note that all gerotor motors have a maximum rated pressure and speed. If you exceed either, bad things will happen. Leakage may increase, it may wear faster, bearings may fail, seals may leak or blow out, or it may fail catastrophically.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
jrmichler, thank you for the reply. I guess what I am trying to determine is: does length affect torque, does increasing diameter affect torque. I am currently working with a gerotor that puts out a certain torque at 150L/m. How can I maintain the same flow and increase torque?

The torque is proportional to the pressure differential across the motor. The pressure differential is the inlet pressure minus the back pressure at the outlet. If the flow stays the same, anything that increases torque will decrease speed, increase pressure, or both. If you want more torque at the same flow, you have three choices:
1) Add a gear reducer to slow it down.
2) A larger motor (more displacement per revolution) will behave the same as adding a gear reducer - more torque at a lower speed.
3) Increase the pressure differential by increasing the inlet pressure, decreasing the back pressure, or both.

Likes Asymptotic
Dano61 said:
How can I maintain the same flow and increase torque?
Gears?

Given a set power source (your flow rate at whatever pressure/head), if you want more torque, you may need to gear down the output. Can you say what the application is?

So length will not affect torque in a Gerotor?

Dano61 said:
How do you increase torque in gerotor design other than increasing flow.
You might be referring to a gerotor pump, or a gerotor motor.
I assume it is a motor. Correct me if I am wrong.

You need to specify whether the torque is now limited by movement of the physical load, or by the available hydraulic pressure. What load is being driven? And how is the speed being regulated?

The rate of fluid flow sets the speed of a gerotor motor. Fluid flow rate does not set the torque, unless turning the load at increased speed requires higher torque, and a greater fluid pressure is available.

Dano61 said:
So length will not affect torque in a Gerotor?
If you double the length of a gerotor motor, you will double the rotor area and so double the torque for the same fluid pressure. To maintain the same speed, you will then need double the volume of fluid flowing.
That is equivalent to joining two motor shafts, while supplying the same pressure fluid to the two motors in parallel, an arrangement that will require twice the volume of fluid flow.

The torque available from a gerotor motor is proportional to the fluid pressure across that motor.

Dano61 said:
What about running 2 or 3 in series?
If the same fluid flows in series through several gerotor motors, each motor will develop less torque, since the motors will share the total pressure available.

Connecting motors in series will not increase torque. Series connection of several motors is expensive and pointless, since it will be equivalent to one motor only.

1. How does increasing the length of a gerotor affect torque?

Increasing the length of a gerotor typically results in an increase in torque. This is because a longer gerotor allows for more contact between the gears, resulting in a larger surface area and more force being transmitted.

2. What is the impact of increasing the diameter of a gerotor on torque?

Increasing the diameter of a gerotor also leads to an increase in torque. This is because a larger diameter allows for more teeth to be in contact, resulting in a greater force being transmitted.

3. How does series placement affect torque in a gerotor design?

The placement of gerotors in a series can have a significant impact on torque. When gerotors are placed in series, the output torque is multiplied by the number of gerotors in the series. This means that the more gerotors in a series, the higher the torque output.

4. Is there a limit to how much torque can be increased by changing the length, diameter, and series placement of gerotors?

There is no specific limit to how much torque can be increased by these design changes. However, there are practical limitations, such as the physical size and strength of the materials used, that may restrict the maximum achievable torque.

5. Are there any trade-offs to consider when increasing torque with gerotor design?

While increasing torque can be achieved through changes in gerotor design, there are some trade-offs to consider. These may include increased size and weight of the system, potential for increased noise and vibration, and higher manufacturing costs.