Indefinite integral of cross product of 2 function

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement that is not given properly and the need for proper details in order to compute the integral of v multiplied by the second derivative of v with respect to t. The use of X for multiplication and the confusion caused by the notation used by one participant is also mentioned.
agnimusayoti
Homework Statement
If ##\vec{v} (t)## is a vector function of t, find indefinite integral
$$\int {\left(\vec v \times \frac{d^2 \vec v}{dt^2} dt\right)}$$
Relevant Equations
Idk.
I've tried with this work in attachment. i&m not sure of my answer is correct.

Attachments

• 15926584704436099750539116260485.jpg
    15926584704436099750539116260485.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 175
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is not given properly. Can you provide us proper details? If you are computing:

$$\int v \frac{d^2v}{dt^2} dt$$​

You mentioned ##dv = b(t) dt##, and then computed ##v##:

$$v = \frac{dv}{dt}$$​

You know this is inherently not correct, unless the function is specifically ##v(t) = e^t##. Don't forget about generality when writing math proofs, or computing such things.

Likes Delta2
Zondrina said:
The problem statement is not given properly. Can you provide us proper details? If you are computing:
$$\int v \frac{d^2v}{dt^2} dt$$​
The thread title says cross product.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.51.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.51.39 AM.png

Integrate all the remaining terms, and you get a sum of antiderivatives that subtract from the other terms.

I still dislike how we use X for multiplication, and cross product every time I see it, sorry for the confusion.

@agnimusayoti , I think you confused everyone with your unfortunate choice of notation, using v (no arrow) for ##\frac{d\vec v}{dt}## and u for ##\vec v##.
Where your algebra goes wrong is in handling ##\int \frac{d\vec v}{dt}\times d\vec v##. The correct result becomes obvious if you write it as ##\int \frac{d\vec v}{dt}\times \frac{d\vec v}{dt}dt##

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a given function. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the original function when its derivative is known.

What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol × and is commonly used in vector algebra and physics.

How do you find the indefinite integral of a cross product of two functions?

To find the indefinite integral of a cross product of two functions, you can use the properties of integrals and the cross product rule. First, you integrate each function separately, then use the cross product rule to combine them into a single integral expression.

What are the applications of the indefinite integral of a cross product?

The indefinite integral of a cross product has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate work done by a force, magnetic fields, and torque in mechanics, as well as in calculating surface area and volume in geometry.

What are some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals of cross products?

Some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals of cross products include using substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to be familiar with the properties of integrals and the cross product rule to simplify the integration process.