Indeterminate limit involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity

In summary, the limit of (x^3)*((x^2-1)^-0.5-(x^2+1)^-0.5) as x approaches infinity can be evaluated by combining the two fractions, factoring out an x^2, and using the conjugate to eliminate the radicals. The resulting limit is 1.
throneoo

Homework Statement

http://www5b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP19531i2efadg8b4hce2f00000hb7532fcd20a6h7?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=47&w=253.&h=47.
basically I have to evaluate the limit on LHS , the above image is from wolfram alpha . (if link doesn't work , it's
limit of (x^3)*((x^2-1)^-0.5-(x^2+1)^-0.5) as x->infinity)
2. The attempt at a solution

L'hopital's rule wouldn't work, as x^3 vanishes after the 3rd derivative , but (x^2+a)^0.5 would not terminate at higher derivatives and I can't find the limit at their 1st and 2nd derivatives.

I've tried to change variables such as letting u=(x^2-1)^0.5 but that failed as well , and taylor expansion wouldn't help as it's an infinite series .

now I seem to be running out of methods .

I will appreciate any suggestion for an approach

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
throneoo said:

Homework Statement

http://www5b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP19531i2efadg8b4hce2f00000hb7532fcd20a6h7?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=47&w=253.&h=47.
basically I have to evaluate the limit on LHS , the above image is from wolfram alpha . (if link doesn't work , it's
limit of (x^3)*((x^2-1)^-0.5-(x^2+1)^-0.5) as x->infinity)
2. The attempt at a solution

L'hopital's rule wouldn't work, as x^3 vanishes after the 3rd derivative , but (x^2+a)^0.5 would not terminate at higher derivatives and I can't find the limit at their 1st and 2nd derivatives.

I've tried to change variables such as letting u=(x^2-1)^0.5 but that failed as well , and taylor expansion wouldn't help as it's an infinite series .

now I seem to be running out of methods .

I will appreciate any suggestion for an approach
The first thing I would try is combining the two fractions. I haven't worked the problem yet, so am not sure this will work. In any case, I would take that approach before doing anything like attempting to use L'Hopital's Rule.

BTW, is the "1" on the right side a typo? I don't get that the limit is 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Factor out an x2 from each of the radicals in the denominators. Then you will have 1's and 1/x2 within the radicals, and at large x, the 1/x2 will be small. Expand the resulting radicals using the binomial expansion. This will get rid of the radicals in each of the fractions. Then reduce to common denominator.

Chet

Mark44 said:
The first thing I would try is combining the two fractions. I haven't worked the problem yet, so am not sure this will work. In any case, I would take that approach before doing anything like attempting to use L'Hopital's Rule.

BTW, is the "1" on the right side a typo? I don't get that the limit is 1.
I have tried that , which resulted in failure . the fact that the limit is 1 seems unbelievable indeed

Chestermiller said:
Factor out an x2 from each of the radicals in the denominators. Then you will have 1's and 1/x2 within the radicals, and at large x, the 1/x2 will be small. Expand the resulting radicals using the binomial expansion. This will get rid of the radicals in each of the fractions. Then reduce to common denominator.

Chet
thanks , I seem to be able to evaluate the limit now .

the limit would then become x2 (1/sqrt(1-a) - 1/sqrt(1+a)) where a=1/x2 .

if I only expand sqrt(1+-a) up to order 1 , I would get 1/(1-1/2x4 , which would result in limit=1.

throneoo said:
I have tried that , which resulted in failure . the fact that the limit is 1 seems unbelievable indeed
After a bit more work, I do get 1. In my erroneous work, I glossed over the fact that the numerator was approaching 0 while the x3 factor was getting large. In effect, I missed the [0 * ∞] indeterminate form.

Chet suggested one way. Another way will work as well. Combine the two fractions, then bring out factors of x from each radical. At that point, you can multiply by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself. That's probably easier than doing the binomial expansion that Chet suggested.

Likes throneoo

What is an indeterminate limit involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity?

An indeterminate limit involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity is a situation where the limit of a function involving the expression (ax^2+b)^-0.5 approaches infinity, but the value cannot be determined simply by plugging in the value of infinity. This type of limit requires further mathematical analysis to determine the exact value.

What is the general approach to solving an indeterminate limit involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity?

The general approach to solving an indeterminate limit involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity is to use techniques such as L'Hopital's rule, substitution, or algebraic manipulation to transform the expression into a form that can be evaluated directly.

How is L'Hopital's rule used to solve indeterminate limits involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity?

L'Hopital's rule states that if the limit of a function is in an indeterminate form such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and then evaluating the resulting expression. This can be applied to indeterminate limits involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity by taking the derivative of the function and evaluating the resulting expression.

When is it necessary to use substitution to solve indeterminate limits involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity?

Substitution is necessary in cases where L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied or when the function can be simplified by substituting a variable with a value that makes the expression easier to evaluate. In indeterminate limits involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity, substitution may be necessary to transform the expression into a form that can be evaluated directly.

Can algebraic manipulation be used to solve indeterminate limits involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity?

Yes, algebraic manipulation can be used to solve indeterminate limits involving (ax^2+b)^-0.5 and infinity. This technique involves simplifying the expression by factoring, expanding, or using properties of limits to transform the expression into a form that can be evaluated directly. It may be necessary to combine algebraic manipulation with other techniques such as substitution or L'Hopital's rule to successfully solve the indeterminate limit.