Index Family Subset Proof: Union subset Intersection

In summary, the statement "Let {B_j: j \in J} be an indexed family of sets. Show that \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \subseteq \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j iff for all i, j, \in J, Bi = Bj" can be proven by showing that if there exists p and q in the index set J such that Bp does not equal Bq, then the union of all B_i's is not a subset of the intersection of all B_j's.
mliuzzolino

Homework Statement

Let [itex] {B_j: j \in J} [/itex] be an indexed family of sets. Show that [itex] \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \subseteq \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex] iff for all i, j, [itex] \in [/itex] J, Bi = Bj.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First show that [itex] \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \subseteq \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j \Rightarrow [/itex] for all i, j, [itex] \in [/itex] J, Bi = Bj.

By contrapositive, [itex] B_i \neq B_j \Rightarrow \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex]

Suppose [itex] B_i \neq B_j [/itex].

Let [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i [/itex]. So there exists an i in J such that x in Bi. But since Bi [itex]\neq[/itex] Bj, [itex]i \neq j[/itex] and there exists an [itex] i \in J \ni x \notin B_j. [/itex].

I know that the definition of the index family of intersections is for all j in J, x in Ej. But I'm not sure how to say that this isn't the case in the above proof...

Any guidance for a lost soul?

Physics news on Phys.org
mliuzzolino said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex] {B_j: j \in J} [/itex] be an indexed family of sets. Show that [itex] \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \subseteq \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex] iff for all i, j, [itex] \in [/itex] J, Bi = Bj.

The Attempt at a Solution

First show that [itex] \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \subseteq \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j \Rightarrow [/itex] for all i, j, [itex] \in [/itex] J, Bi = Bj.

By contrapositive, [itex] B_i \neq B_j \Rightarrow \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex]

The contrapositive would be if there exist p and q such that ##B_p\neq B_q## then ##\bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j##. Don't use i and j for the indices and also the particular values.

Suppose [itex] B_i \neq B_j [/itex]. (##\color{red}{B_p\ne B_q}##)

[STRIKE]Let [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i [/itex]. So there exists an i in J such that x in Bi. But since Bi [itex]\neq[/itex] Bj, [itex]i \neq j[/itex] and there exists an [itex] i \in J \ni x \notin B_j. [/itex].[/STRIKE]

Why don't you start with with x in one of ##B_p,B_q## and not the other? Then look at where it fits in the result.

Last edited:
Maybe I entirely mistook your guidance, but this is where I ended up going with it...not sure it's logically consistent though?

[itex] \exists p, q \in J \ni B_p \neq B_q \Rightarrow \bigcup_{i_J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex]

Suppose [itex] \exists p, q \in J \ni B_p \neq B_q [/itex]. Let [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i [/itex], then [itex] \exists i \in J \ni x \in B_i [/itex]. Then suppose [itex] x \in B_p [/itex] then [itex] x \notin B_q [/itex].

Therefore, for all [itex] j \in J [/itex], namely j = q, [itex] x \notin B_j [/itex].

So [itex] \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex].

A bit of these steps seem dodgy to me. Your input is greatly appreciated! :)

mliuzzolino said:
Maybe I entirely mistook your guidance, but this is where I ended up going with it...not sure it's logically consistent though?

[itex] \exists p, q \in J \ni B_p \neq B_q \Rightarrow \bigcup_{i_J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex]

Suppose [itex] \exists p, q \in J \ni B_p \neq B_q [/itex]. [STRIKE]Let [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i [/itex], then [itex] \exists i \in J \ni x \in B_i [/itex].[/STRIKE]

No. Don't start with saying x is in the union. Without loss of generality you can say there is an x that is ##B_p## and not ##B_q##. Start with that x and show it is in the left side but not the right side.

LCKurtz said:
No. Don't start with saying x is in the union. Without loss of generality you can say there is an x that is ##B_p## and not ##B_q##. Start with that x and show it is in the left side but not the right side.

So, again my copious stupidity may be valiantly working against my attempts to understand this, but...

By supposition [itex] B_p \neq B_q [/itex], [itex] x \in B_p [/itex] AND [itex] x \notin B_q [/itex]. Since there exists [itex] p \in J \ni x \in B_p [/itex], then [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i. [/itex]

Then, since there exists [itex] j \in J, [/itex] namely j = q, [itex] \ni x \notin B_j [/itex], then [itex] x \notin \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex].

Therefore, [itex] \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex].

mliuzzolino said:
So, again my copious stupidity may be valiantly working against my attempts to understand this, but...

By supposition [itex] B_p \neq B_q [/itex], [itex] x \in B_p [/itex] AND [itex] x \notin B_q [/itex]. Since there exists [itex] p \in J \ni x \in B_p [/itex], then [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i. [/itex]

Then, since there exists [itex] j \in J, [/itex] namely j = q, [itex] \ni x \notin B_j [/itex], then [itex] x \notin \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex].

Therefore, [itex] \bigcup_{i \in J} B_i \not\subset \bigcap_{j \in J} B_j [/itex].

Good. You are now halfway done with the original problem. The other direction is even easier :smile:

Thanks!

What is the meaning of "Index Family Subset Proof: Union subset Intersection"?

The phrase "Index Family Subset Proof: Union subset Intersection" refers to a mathematical proof that demonstrates how the union of two sets is a subset of their intersection. In other words, if two sets have some elements in common, then those elements will also be part of their union.

Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it helps establish the relationship between the union and intersection of sets. It also provides a way to validate whether a given set is a subset of another set.

How is this proof used in scientific research?

This proof is used in various fields of science, such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. It is particularly useful in data analysis and modeling, where researchers often need to compare and combine different sets of data.

What are the steps involved in the "Index Family Subset Proof: Union subset Intersection"?

The steps involved in this proof include defining the sets and their elements, showing that the union of the sets is a subset of their intersection, and providing a logical explanation for why this is true. The proof may also involve using mathematical symbols and equations to support the argument.

Are there any limitations or exceptions to this proof?

Yes, there are certain cases where this proof may not hold, such as when the sets being compared are infinite or when one set is a proper subset of the other. In such cases, the proof may need to be modified or a different approach may be needed to establish the relationship between the union and intersection of the sets.