Indian parents scale new heights to help kids cheat

In summary, the video shows disgraceful cheating in an Indian school. The article has multiple issues, and suggests that cheating is common in Indian schools.
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:

This is common in a few middle eastern countries as well. Where I come from, parents drive around schools with megaphones, assisting their kids during exams, with no legal repercussions. This is never reported, though.
Sadly, in some third world countries, a lot of parents do go to great lengths for good grades, missing the whole point of exams and education.

Likes AdityaDev
Evo said:
Unbelievable
?
Not as subtle as what goes on in this country, perhaps, but, sadly, very believable.

There are bigger problems with the Indian educational system than cheating. For example, the subject "geography" in class 10 partly consists of the memorization of the temperatures and type of soil conditions which are appropriate for the growth of around a hundred plants. (I have cheated in such tests too, #YOLO)

To be fair, the syllabus for subjects like mathematics and physics are pretty good.

Last edited:
I'm an Indian. Cheating is very common in such states (like Bihar). In India, there are some states which are underdeveloped. The students would do anything to pass the exams . Also, the people in Bihar behave very badly. Its not a safe place (especially for women). (But there are good people from Bihar as well like my physics teacher. He motivated me to work hard).
dlgoff said:
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this
:oldeek:

But at least children in India don't carry pistols with them. below is a list of shootings that take place in American school. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States
.Every country is bad in some way.

russ_watters said:
It's a lot simpler (not to mention safer!) if instead of allowing the cheating, the teachers just do the cheating for the students:
http://6abc.com/archive/9531036/
This is also common in India. The teachers replace the actual answer sheet with their answer sheets.

No kidding? I didn't realize this kind of cheating was so common :/

AdityaDev said:

In reality, you probably shouldn't...

40px-Ambox_important.svg.png

[hide]This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)
This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (February 2015)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

dx said:
For example, the subject "geography" in class 10 partly consists of the memorization of the temperatures and type of soil conditions which are appropriate for the growth of around a hundred plants. (I have cheated in such tests too, #YOLO)
Reminds me of a time in which a friend of mine cheated in Geography in middle school and the teacher nearly killed him. She was raging so hard and hysterical over him cheating. She sent him to hell and everything. She was like: "IF I GO TO YOUR SIT AND YOU ARE CHEATING YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE IT! LIFT YOUR BACKPACK THIS INSTANT AND SHOW ME WHAT'S BELOW!" Meanwhile everyone was trying really hard to contain their laugh. After getting kicked out of the classroom on the exam he became the laughing point of the class for a whole week. For a few days she didn't accept him in the class and he came to me to copy the material that was discussed. She was really mad (her face all red and everything), other teachers had to intervene in the following days to calm her down.

I'll never forget the whole drama. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
It's a very poor eyesight.
russ_watters said:
It's a lot simpler (not to mention safer!) if instead of allowing the cheating, the teachers just do the cheating for the students:
http://6abc.com/archive/9531036/
It happened at my high school and I'm sure it still happens everywhere. Old leaked standard exams everywhere. Not that I needed them anyway. (I hope I don't sound arrogant here, I really didn't need them)

in my old school, a girl was caught helping her friend and she was scolded by the school principal and the teachers. she went home and set herself on fire.

zoeschmoe said:
No kidding? I didn't realize this kind of cheating was so common :/
common... but does not happen in every part of my country.

The parents scaling the walls of the school is quite alarming. The superintendent must be blind.

This is really unbelievable.well I am from India as well but never saw cheating this much.

Well this is reason why most people in India are unemployed.

India is a huge country and I would imagine that practices and what is acceptable vary greatly from one region to another, this is by no means indicative of the entire country/

Likes AdityaDev
Yep India is huge country.but believe me people in India are very narrow minded.I hate this the most

All they think about is passing from college.having a better job to only fulfill his needs and ofcourse his wife's.they don't want to follow there dreams.

dx said:
There are bigger problems with the Indian educational system than cheating. For example, the subject "geography" in class 10 partly consists of the memorization of the temperatures and type of soil conditions which are appropriate for the growth of around a hundred plants.
I don't get it. What exactly is wrong with this?

Likes AdityaDev
DaveC426913 said:
I don't get it. What exactly is wrong with this?
Well its one thing to study or learn about such things, but its another thing to expect students to memorize dry facts. I don't see what the point is in memorizing such facts. It as meaningless as memorizing the heights of a large number of mountains. What could a question like "what is the height of Mount whats-its-name in Colorado?" possibly test other than memory and willingness to memorize things for no reason?

( or maybe your question was sarcastic? :smile: )

Last edited:
Evo said:
India is a huge country and I would imagine that practices and what is acceptable vary greatly from one region to another, this is by no means indicative of the entire country/

pvk21 said:
Yep India is huge country.but believe me people in India are very narrow minded.I hate this the most

It seems to me the point of recognizing that India is large, as Evo suggests, is that one sentence summaries made about the entire nation, such as yours, are inevitably made from ignorance: its difficult to know more than superficially the mind of a few, much less a billion people.

Likes billy_joule
pvk21 said:
Not everyone. Have you ever went to Sikkim?? It's one of the best places in India. The people there are very kind and calm.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The parents scaling the walls of the school is quite alarming. The superintendent must be blind.
The superintendent was probably a part of the incident. He might have allowed the parents.

By saying "people in India are very narrow minded" I am not really referring to whole India.I am saying this because of my day to day experience.I know I can't predict thought of billions of people.

Do you think cheating is big problem in india.for cheating,you have to be literate.

Whatever...

Aryabhatta an Indian mathematician invented zero, explained trigonometry, and is considered as the greatest mathematician.
An Indian invented plastic surgery.
We have the most advanced missile systems.
Ramanujan was an Indian.
CV Raman was an Indian.
Meghnad saga, an Indian, proposed the saga equations.
It was an Indian who demonstrated how nucleotides control the synthesis of proteins.I can go on. The only problem was that we underestimated ourselves and we did not know the value of science.
All our ideas were utilized by western nations while we sat and enjoyed.

You are right on point aditya we just sat there doing nothing

Likes AdityaDev
dx said:
Well its one thing to study or learn about such things, but its another thing to expect students to memorize dry facts. I don't see what the point is in memorizing such facts. It as meaningless as memorizing the heights of a large number of mountains. What could a question like "what is the height of Mount whats-its-name in Colorado?" possibly test other than memory and willingness to memorize things for no reason?

( or maybe your question was sarcastic? :smile: )
I know of many courses where memorization of material is required: geography, math, physics. Regardless, seems to me, such a minor criticism of content is dwarfed by the problems mentioned in this thread.

Well, you can't really compare that to math and physics though. For example, I know Maxwell's equations, not because I memorized them, but because I have used them many many many times. It is not the same kind of memorization. The math and physics tests are also much more sane in this sense, because it is not uncommon to give a list of required formulas at the beginning of the test, to save the students the trouble of memorizing them.

I agree with you that this is just one of the problems. I know because I have gone through the system. There is a tremendous amount of pressure on the students to do well in the exams, so much that they forget why they are learning things. Doing well in the exam becomes more important than quality education.

Likes pvk21
dx said:
Well, you can't really compare that to math and physics though. For example, I know Maxwell's equations, not because I memorized them, but because I have used them many many many times. It is not the same kind of memorization. The math and physics tests are also much more sane in this sense, because it is not uncommon to give a list of required formulas at the beginning of the test, to save the students the trouble of memorizing them.

I agree with you that this is just one of the problems. I know because I have gone through the system. There is a tremendous amount of pressure on the students to do well in the exams, so much that they forget why they are learning things. Doing well in the exam becomes more important than quality education.
There you go this what I intended to say.there in no quality education

pvk21 said:
There you go this what I intended to say.there in no quality education
Unless you are in a good coaching institute in India.

AdityaDev said:
Unless you are in a good coaching institute in India.
good institution you mean IIT.well you can't have IIT everywhere.