Induced Voltage of Rotating Circular Loop

In summary, the student attempted to find an answer to a homework question, but was lost. They found that flux must equal zero when cosine of angle is equal to one, and that induced emf at t=0 will be equal to the amplitude.
peroAlex
HI! I'm a student, this question appeared in one of the old tests. I though I had it solved but apparently I must have missed somewhere. Could someone please at least hint me where I went wrong?

Homework Statement

Thin wire is wound into circular frame with radius ## r = 0.05m ## which uniformly rotates around axis with ## \omega = 45 rad/s ## in homogeneous magnetic field ## B = 0.1 T ##. Compute induced voltage ## 0.003 s ## after magnetic dipole of a loop is perpendicular to magnetic field lines.

Homework Equations

## U_i = B S \omega \sin{(\omega t)} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First I used upper equation (only the ## B S \omega ## part) to compute amplitude of induced voltage which yields ## U_0 \approx 0.0353 V##. Next I tried plugging ## t = 0.003 ## into full equation which returned ## \approx 0.00476 V ##. There are 4 options available (you chose the one which is correct), however, I surprisingly found out that this result is not among 4 possible answers.

Two "plausible" answers are ## 0.035 V ## (which is presumably the amplitude) and ## 0.0217 V ## which seems to be the correct result. The rest are ## 0.0637 V ## and ## 0.0438 V##, but they should be excluded because induced voltage cannot take values higher than amplitude, right?

Now, in order for #0.0217# to stand, ## \sin{\omega t} = 0.63 ## thus ## \omega t = 0.68 rad ##. This would occur when ## t \approx 0.015s## and not at given ##0.003s##!

Remember how magnetic field and magnetic dipole of loop are perpendicular to each other? In this situation, induced voltage should be zero since flux is non-existent. How could it possibly increase to 60% of amplitude in such a short time span? I'm really lost here, could somebody please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
peroAlex said:
Remember how magnetic field and magnetic dipole of loop are perpendicular to each other? In this situation, induced voltage should be zero since flux is non-existent.
Zero flux does not mean zero induced voltage.
What is the relation between flux and induced emf?
peroAlex said:
Ui=BSωsin(ωt)Ui=BSωsin⁡(ωt) U_i = B S \omega \sin{(\omega t)}
What is the induced emf at t=0 in this equation?
What is the actual emf induced at t=0 in this problem?

Likes peroAlex
OK, flux will equal zero when ## \cos{\omega t} = 0 ## this is when ## t_0 = \frac{\pi}{2} s ##. According to ## U_i = - \frac{d (\text{flux)}}{dt} = - B S \omega \sin{(\omega t)} ## it means that at ## t_0 ## induced EMF will equal its full value (negative) ## U_i = - B S \omega = - 0.035342917 V ##. So if I add ## t = t_0 + 0.003 s ## I get almost indistinguishable change yielding ## U_i = - 0.035342757 V ##. Am I on the right track? I still feel like something is missing...

peroAlex said:
this is when t0=π2st0=π2s t_0 = \frac{\pi}{2} s
No, π/2 is the angle, not time. At t=0, you have flux=0 (magnetic dipole of the coil is perpendicular to the external field).
So what is the equation for flux?
From that, what is the equation for induced emf?

Likes peroAlex
Equation for flux is ## \Phi = B S \cos{\omega t} ##, but equation for induced emf is ## U_i = - \frac{d \Phi}{dt} = B S \omega \sin{\omega t} ##. I'm genuinly confused right now and I'm sorry for troubling you with that one, but if ## t = 0s ## then ## \cos{0} = 1 ## and flux doesn't equal zero.

But if I want flux to be zero, the only way is to make ## \cos{\omega t} = 0 ##, right? So if ## 45 \cdot t = \frac{\pi}{2} ##, time has to equal ## t = \frac{\pi}{90} \approx 0.03491 s##. If I plug this time into induced emf equation I get ## U_i = 0.0353 V##.

I don't know what else I'm missing. I've searched through my lecture notes, been on the Internet... Still don't know what I'm missing.

peroAlex said:
Equation for flux is ## \Phi = B S \cos{\omega t} ##, but equation for induced emf is ## U_i = - \frac{d \Phi}{dt} = B S \omega \sin{\omega t} ##. I'm genuinly confused right now and I'm sorry for troubling you with that one, but if ## t = 0s ## then ## \cos{0} = 1 ## and flux doesn't equal zero.

But if I want flux to be zero, the only way is to make ## \cos{\omega t} = 0 ##, right? So if ## 45 \cdot t = \frac{\pi}{2} ##, time has to equal ## t = \frac{\pi}{90} \approx 0.03491 s##. If I plug this time into induced emf equation I get ## U_i = 0.0353 V##.

I don't know what else I'm missing. I've searched through my lecture notes, been on the Internet... Still don't know what I'm missing.
cnh1995 said:
At t=0, you have flux=0 (magnetic dipole of the coil is perpendicular to the external field).
So what is the equation for flux?

From this, you can write
Φ(t)=BAsin(ωt).
Compute dΦ/dt and put t=0.003s.
peroAlex said:
If I plug this time into induced emf equation I get Ui=0.0353VUi=0.0353V U_i = 0.0353 V.
I am getting the same answer upto three decimal places. Did you convert the angle from degree into radian?
What is the given answer?

Likes peroAlex
Well, I did mention that at the beginning of the post,

Two "plausible" answers are ##0.035 V## (which is presumably the amplitude) and ##0.0217 V## which seems to be the correct result. The rest are ##0.0637V## and ##0.0438V##, but they should be excluded because induced voltage cannot take values higher than amplitude, right?

But it seemed pretty counter-intuitive to think of ##0.035V## being the correct answer, simply because I probably assumed that just because flux is zero so is induced emf. So do you believe that this answer must be correct afterall?

peroAlex said:
So do you believe that this answer must be correct afterall?
Yes.

Assume the coil starts to rotate from zero-flux position i.e. at t=0, the flux is zero.
Therefore,
cnh1995 said:
Φ(t)=BAsin(ωt).
Its derivative is a cosine function, so at t=0.003s, you get induced voltage of 0.035V.
(You should convert set your calculator in radian mode, or you'll get V=0.03534 V.
There isn't much difference between the two, but this is simply because the angle is very small and cosine of a small angle is close to 1. It won't hold for larger angles.)

Also, this voltage is very close to the amplitude for the same reason. The angle is so small that its cosine is very close to 1.
You can see the difference after three decimal places.

Likes peroAlex
Thank you so much!
I was wondering how andwhy, but now I finally understand it. Thank you so much for helping me on that one ;)

Likes cnh1995

1. What is induced voltage of a rotating circular loop?

Induced voltage of a rotating circular loop is the voltage that is generated when a circular loop of wire rotates in a magnetic field. This voltage is induced due to the change in magnetic flux through the loop as it rotates.

2. How is induced voltage of a rotating circular loop calculated?

The induced voltage of a rotating circular loop can be calculated using the formula V = -NΔΦ/Δt, where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the loop, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the time it takes for the loop to rotate.

3. What factors affect the induced voltage of a rotating circular loop?

The induced voltage of a rotating circular loop is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the loop, and the number of turns in the loop.

4. What is the direction of the induced voltage in a rotating circular loop?

The direction of the induced voltage in a rotating circular loop is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced voltage will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that the direction of the induced voltage is opposite to the direction of the change in magnetic flux.

5. What are the applications of induced voltage of a rotating circular loop?

Induced voltage of a rotating circular loop has many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in sensors and devices that measure rotation, speed, and position. Additionally, it is used in electromagnetic induction experiments to demonstrate the relationship between magnetic fields and electricity.