Induction on the n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation

In summary: We get\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{m} \left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial f(t-r)}{\partial r} - \frac{f(t-r)}{r^2}\right) = \left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{m} \left(u_{rr}+ \frac{3}{r}u_r - \frac{2}{r^2}u\
tjackson3

Homework Statement

Consider the radially symmetric wave equation in n dimensions

[tex]u_{tt} = u_{rr} + \frac{n-1}{r}u_r[/tex]

Use induction to show that the solution is

[tex]u = \left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{(n-3)/2} \frac{f(t-r)}{r}[/tex]

for n odd and

[tex]u = \left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{(n-2)/2} \int_0^{t-r}\ \frac{f(\tau)}{\sqrt{(t-\tau)^2-r^2}}\ d\tau[/tex]

n even.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck even on the odd case. I feel like the even case could be handled using the method of descent that is used to derive the 2D solution from the 3D solution, but I could be wrong. Also, I can prove the first step of the induction pretty easily in both cases; it's just a matter of proving the inductive step itself that's presenting trouble.

I've tried this in a few different ways. First off, let's take n odd, and in particular, n=2m+1. Then we have that

[tex]u=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^m \frac{f(t-r)}{r}[/tex]

solves

[tex]u_{tt} = u_{rr}+ \frac{2m}{r}u_r[/tex]

We want to use this to show that

[tex]u=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{m+1} \frac{f(t-r)}{r}[/tex]

solves

[tex]u_{tt} = u_{rr}+ \frac{2m+1}{r}u_r[/tex]

The trouble is, I don't know if you could write out an explicit formula for the solution that would be very helpful. You could apply the "binomial theorem" (for derivatives), but it doesn't seem helpful. My thought - which may be completely off, so if you have a better suggestion, please let me know - was that you could define two operators, L and G, as [itex]L_m = \partial_t^2 - \partial_r^2 - (2m/r)\partial_r[/itex] and [itex]G = \left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)[/itex]. Then our solution for m would be [itex]G^m f(t-r)/r[/itex]; i.e. [itex]L_mG^m f(t-r)/r = 0[/itex]. We want to show that [itex]L_{m+1}G^{m+1} f(t-r)/r = 0[/itex]

For that, we have to see how the m operators interact with the m+1 operators. Clearly [itex]G^{m+1} = G G^m[/itex]. Note that [itex]L_{m+1} = L_m - (1/r)\partial_r = L_m - G[/itex], so [itex]L_{m+1}G^{m+1} = (L_m - G)(GG^m) = L_m(GG^m) - G^{m+2}[/itex]. To handle the first term, we'd like to switch G and Lm, because then we'd just have zero. Unfortunately, they don't commute, but [itex](GL_m - L_mG) = (2/r^2)((1/r)\partial_r - \partial_r^2)[/itex], which means that if we want to switch the two, we have [itex](GL_m + (2/r^2)(\partial_r^2 - (1/r)\partial_r))G^m) = (2/r^2)(\partial_r^2 - (1/r)\partial_r)G^m[/itex]. The second term is just another G, which means that our operator equation becomes

[itex](\partial_r^2G^m - (2/r^2)G^{m+1}-G^{m+2})(f(t-r)/r) = 0[/itex]

which you could almost factor if [itex]\partial_r^2[/itex] and Gm commuted, which they don't, and I don't know how you'd work out the commutant for that.

Anyway, that's my attempt at the solution. I'm sure there's a wildly easier way to do it, but I'm not seeing it. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are struggling with the inductive step in proving the solution for the radially symmetric wave equation in n dimensions. I will try to provide some guidance and suggestions to help you with your proof.

Firstly, I would suggest trying to simplify the problem by considering the case where n=3 (since the solution is known for 2 dimensions, as mentioned in your post). This will give you a better understanding of the problem and may help you see the general pattern in the solution.

Next, let's focus on the odd case (n=2m+1). As you have already mentioned, the first step of the induction is pretty straightforward. Now, for the inductive step, we want to show that

u=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{m+1} \frac{f(t-r)}{r}

solves

u_{tt} = u_{rr}+ \frac{2m+1}{r}u_r

To do this, we can use the fact that we know the solution for n=3 (i.e. m=1). This means that

u=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right) \frac{f(t-r)}{r}

solves

u_{tt} = u_{rr}+ \frac{3}{r}u_r

Now, let's look at the term

\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{m+1} \frac{f(t-r)}{r}

We can rewrite this as

\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{m} \left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right) \frac{f(t-r)}{r}

Using the product rule for derivatives, we can expand this as

\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^{m} \left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial f(t-r)}{\partial r} - \frac{f(t-r)}{r^2}\right)

Now, we can use the fact that

u=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right

1. What is the n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation?

The n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the propagation of waves in a space with n dimensions. It is based on the principles of wave mechanics and takes into account the radial symmetry of the wave. This equation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is the n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation derived?

The n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation is derived from the more general wave equation, which describes the behavior of waves in any number of dimensions. By assuming radial symmetry, the equation can be simplified and expressed in terms of the radial distance from the source of the wave.

3. What are the applications of the n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation?

The n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation has many applications in scientific and engineering fields. It is used to model the behavior of electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and other types of waves in various systems. It is also used in the study of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the limitations of the n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation?

While the n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation is a powerful tool for understanding wave behavior, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the medium through which the wave travels is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that its properties are the same in all directions. This may not always be the case in real-world situations.

5. What are some real-world examples of the n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation in action?

The n-dimensional, radially symmetric wave equation can be seen in action in many different scenarios. For example, it is used to model the behavior of sound waves in a concert hall, electromagnetic waves in a microwave oven, and seismic waves during an earthquake. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI.