Induction: Questions reg. Coils vs Parallel Conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of an AC signal to a straight conductor through induction and the difference in signal transfer when using a small coil versus a parallel running straight conductor. The equation for this difference is requested, and the role of eddy currents in real world use is debated. The conversation also mentions the use of laminated cores on power transformers to negate eddy currents. The speaker is trying to determine the difference in signal transfer using both the coil and parallel running methods. The conversation ends with a suggestion to play with variations and take photos to see the results, and the speaker suspects that there may not be as much induction between a coil and straight wire compared to two coils.
waterweber
Needing a bit of help here.

I am trying to transfer an AC signal to a straight conductor via induction.
I am trying to quantify the difference in amount of transferred signal (amps) when the source of the signal is a small coil versus a parallel running straight conductor.
I am thinking its basically the difference between applying the magnetic field over a small area versus a bigger area.
Really looking for the equation that shows the difference and its been too long since I was doing this kind of stuff in college.
Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you 'll have to use either coil to coil or straight to straight. If you use coil to straight wire then you induce eddy currents in the straight wire which aren't use full at all.

Delta² said:
I think you 'll have to use either coil to coil or straight to straight. If you use coil to straight wire then you induce eddy currents in the straight wire which aren't use full at all.

Not worried about eddy currents. This is in relation to utility locators and fairly low frequency AC signals. The eddy currents don't seem to play a role in real world use.

waterweber said:
This is in relation to utility locators and fairly low frequency AC signals. The eddy currents don't seem to play a role in real world use.

This is not correct
Laminated cores on mains power transformers (50/60Hz) are done for a reason ... to negate the eddy currents generated in the core

Got it.
Bottom line is this works both ways in the real world. I've applied signal using a coil (12" diameter) placed directly above and inline with a conductive line as well as via a parallel running line.
I'm trying to get an idea of how the amount of signal transferred is different using both methods.

Likes davenn
waterweber said:
Got it.
Bottom line is this works both ways in the real world. I've applied signal using a coil (12" diameter) placed directly above and inline with a conductive line as well as via a parallel running line.
I'm trying to get an idea of how the amount of signal transferred is different using both methods.

OK, no probs
You will find large variations with distance and angle between the coil and straight wire

play with variations and take photos in those variations and put up the results on here :smile:

I suspect you won't see as much induction between coil and straight wire as you would between 2 coils
Dave

Even if it seems to working , I think what you measure (in the case of coil to straight wire) is some sort of Hall Voltage in the straight wire (which will not be small if the magnetic field from coil is strong) and not the real induced voltage in the straight wire which is really small.

1. What is the difference between coils and parallel conductors?

Coils and parallel conductors are two different types of electrical circuits. A coil is a wire wound into a series of loops, usually in a spiral shape, while parallel conductors are two or more wires that are run side by side and connected at both ends. The main difference between the two is that a coil creates a magnetic field that is confined to the inside of the coil, while parallel conductors create a magnetic field that is spread out around the wires.

2. Which one is more efficient for induction, coils or parallel conductors?

Coils are generally more efficient for induction compared to parallel conductors. This is because the magnetic field in a coil is concentrated within the loops, creating a stronger and more focused field for induction. In parallel conductors, the magnetic field is spread out and weaker, making it less efficient for induction.

3. Can both coils and parallel conductors be used for induction?

Yes, both coils and parallel conductors can be used for induction. However, coils are typically preferred for their higher efficiency and ability to create a stronger magnetic field. Parallel conductors may be used in situations where space is limited or when a weaker magnetic field is desired.

4. How does the number of turns in a coil affect induction?

The number of turns in a coil directly affects induction. A coil with more turns will create a stronger magnetic field, making it more efficient for induction. This is because each turn of the coil adds to the overall magnetic field. Additionally, a coil with more turns will have a higher inductance, which is a measure of its ability to induce a voltage in a nearby circuit.

5. Can the orientation of coils and parallel conductors affect induction?

Yes, the orientation of coils and parallel conductors can affect induction. The direction of the magnetic field created by the coil or parallel conductors will determine the direction of the induced current in a nearby circuit. For coils, the orientation of the loops can also affect the strength of the magnetic field and therefore the efficiency of induction.