Inductive generators, what is their output compared to their horsepower rating

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting a 3 phase AC motor rated at 40 hp into a single phase induction generator, driven by an ICE at 1800 rpm. The main question is how to determine the power output in kilowatts and what information is needed from the motor. It is suggested that knowing the efficiency of the motor, which can be up to 95%, and the conversion factor for hp to kW can provide the necessary information. It is also mentioned that an induction generator is typically 80% efficient in terms of mechanical input to electrical output. This raises questions about the required power and torque from the ICE.
swdepew
Let say I have a 3 phase ac motor rated at 40 hp. Now I'd like to be able to convert this to act as a single phase induction generator (I hear is possible but I don't know much about it). driven by an ICE at around 1800 rpm. What would its power output be in kilowatts. Or more importantly how would I find that out? What other information from the motor do I need? I appreciate your time in looking into my question. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! All you really need to know is the efficiency. A good 3 phase motor/generator can be 95% efficient. After that, it's just knowing the English-metric conversion factor for hp to kW...

Thanks for that Russ. I wasn't sure if it was as simple and converting HP to kW. A few more follow up questions. If we assume an induction generator is 80% efficient is that referring to mechanical input to electrical output? Meaning the electrical output will be 80% of the mechanical input? If so does that mean I will need an ICE that will produce 20% more power than the rated output or would I just produce 20% less electrical power? Also how do I find out how much torque is needed from the ICE?

What is an inductive generator?

An inductive generator is a type of electrical generator that uses electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

How do inductive generators work?

Inductive generators work by rotating a conductive coil within a magnetic field. This rotation creates an alternating current (AC) that can be harnessed as electrical energy.

What is the output of an inductive generator compared to its horsepower rating?

The output of an inductive generator is directly proportional to its horsepower rating. This means that a higher horsepower rating will result in a higher electrical output from the generator.

Are there any limitations to the output of an inductive generator?

Yes, the output of an inductive generator is limited by a number of factors including the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the conductive coil.

What are some common applications of inductive generators?

Inductive generators are commonly used in power plants and wind turbines to generate electricity. They are also used in small-scale applications such as portable generators and hand-cranked flashlights.