Sizing the start capacitor for an induction motor

In summary, the friend has a motor with a low hp rating and an inability to start unless given a turn in either direction. The friend is looking for a replacement cap for the motor, and is considering a 50uF capacitor designed for motor starting. If no good, the friend will strip the motor down.
Guineafowl
TL;DR Summary
How to spec a start capacitor for an asynchronous induction motor, and the consequences of getting the value too high and too low.
A friend has a single phase, cap start induction motor with the following characteristics:
V 240/250
A 2.6
Hp 1/3
Rpm 1435 @ 50Hz

As for as I know it’s not fitted to a machine, but given the low hp rating I’d guess it’s for a drill press. So it would need only moderate to low starting torque. At the moment it won’t start spinning unless given a turn in either direction, and then only spins very slowly.

It’s so old the markings have worn off the original capacitor. Looking at various guides I have suggested a 50uF replacement, rated appropriately for voltage and designed for motor starting. It’s on the higher end of the suggested values.

While we wait for that to arrive, what would happen if the value is wrong? My guess:
Too high - excessive inrush current on starting
Too low - inadequate starting torque.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your guess about sizing is correct, to a point. Taken to the extreme, imagine an infinite capacitance resulting in no phase shift yet will allow excessive current in the start winding. I can recall there is a general rule of X uF per horsepower. I can't remember the actual numbers. You may also want to consider the starting torque required. If it is very little and it does not matter if it spins up slowly, you could err on the low side of capacitance. Make sure you don't have an open starting switch before you go swapping out capacitors.

Likes Guineafowl
Averagesupernova said:
Your guess about sizing is correct, to a point. Taken to the extreme, imagine an infinite capacitance resulting in no phase shift yet will allow excessive current in the start winding. I can recall there is a general rule of X uF per horsepower. I can't remember the actual numbers. You may also want to consider the starting torque required. If it is very little and it does not matter if it spins up slowly, you could err on the low side of capacitance. Make sure you don't have an open starting switch before you go swapping out capacitors.
Thanks. I vaguely remember a Jim Hardy post about X uF per horsepower.

The ‘friend’ is actually a user on another forum, and given the description of the existing capacitor (“ancient”) and the difficulties of remote diagnosis, I thought the easiest step was a replacement cap. If no good, I’ll get him to strip the motor down.

1. How do I determine the correct size of a start capacitor for an induction motor?

The size of a start capacitor for an induction motor is determined by the motor's horsepower, voltage, and starting torque requirements. This information can be found on the motor's nameplate or in the manufacturer's specifications. A general rule of thumb is to choose a capacitor with a capacitance value that is between 70-120% of the motor's rated capacitance.

2. What happens if the start capacitor is too small for an induction motor?

If the start capacitor is too small for an induction motor, the motor may struggle to start or may not start at all. This can lead to increased wear and tear on the motor and may cause it to overheat or fail prematurely.

3. Can I use a start capacitor with a higher capacitance than recommended for an induction motor?

No, it is not recommended to use a start capacitor with a higher capacitance than recommended for an induction motor. This can cause the motor to start too quickly, resulting in excessive current draw and potential damage to the motor or other components in the circuit.

4. How do I know if a start capacitor is faulty?

If a start capacitor is faulty, the motor may not start at all or may start slowly and then stop. The capacitor may also show physical signs of damage such as bulging or leaking. A multimeter can also be used to test the capacitance of the capacitor to determine if it is within the acceptable range.

5. Can I replace a start capacitor with a different type or brand?

It is generally recommended to replace a start capacitor with the same type and brand that was originally installed in the motor. This ensures compatibility and proper functioning of the motor. However, if the original capacitor is no longer available, a replacement with similar specifications can be used as long as it is within the recommended capacitance range.