Inelastic Collision or Conversation of Energy?

In summary: The correct solution is:Conservation of energy: KE = PEg(½)(0.5)(v^2) = (2.8)(9.8)(1.5)v = 5.42 m/sConservation of momentum: p = mv(0.5)(v) = (2.8)(u)u = 0.1786vSolving these equations simultaneously gives a final velocity of 5.42 m/s for both the ball of clay and the target.
en bloc

Homework Statement

Leonard wants to know how fast he can throw a ball, so he hangs a 2.3 kg target on a rope from a tree. He picks up a 0.5 kg ball of clay and throws it horizontally against the target. The clay sticks to the target and the clay and the target swing up to a height of 1.5m above the initial position. How fast did Leonard throw the ball of clay?

Homework Equations

KE+PE = KE+PE

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew it out and thought this equation might work, but i don't think it's right for many reasons.

1/2*.5kg*v^(2)=2.8kg*9.8*1.5m

v=12.8 m/s

unrealistically high velocity.

There's no way for me to check this answer, so can someone tell me if this is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
en bloc said:

Homework Statement

Leonard wants to know how fast he can throw a ball, so he hangs a 2.3 kg target on a rope from a tree. He picks up a 0.5 kg ball of clay and throws it horizontally against the target. The clay sticks to the target and the clay and the target swing up to a height of 1.5m above the initial position. How fast did Leonard throw the ball of clay?

Homework Equations

KE+PE = KE+PE

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew it out and thought this equation might work, but i don't think it's right for many reasons.

1/2*.5kg*v^(2)=2.8kg*9.8*1.5m

v=12.8 m/s

unrealistically high velocity.

There's no way for me to check this answer, so can someone tell me if this is right?

You are trying to relate the kinetic energy of the ball before the collision to the kinetic energy of the combination after collision. This collision is not elastic, so that is not correct. Any collision wher the masses stick together is inelastic.

It is correct, and not unrealistic. Think: You throw a stone and at the same time your friend starts to run. Which is faster: the stone or the man? What is the speed a man can run?

ehild

Edit: Of course it is wrong, the energy is not conserved during the collision, only after.

Last edited:
PeterO said:
...so that is not correct...

ehild said:
It is correct, and not unrealistic...

I'm a bit confused here. Did i get the right answer, but just with not the best approach?

And i now see how this speed isn't unrealistically high, thanks.

Last edited:
en bloc said:
I'm a bit confused here. Did i get the right answer, but just with not the best approach?

And i now see how this speed isn't unrealistically high, thanks.

The answer is incorrect.

if you relate KE after collision to height reached, it shows the 2.8 kg will be traveling at between 5 and 6 m/s

Conservation of momentum will show that the 0.5 kg mass must have been traveling at a little over 30 m/s.

That is not unrerasonable, as a good baseball pitcher can throw things at up to 40 m/s. I suppose that if you "friend" was boasting about the speed at which he can throw things it may be possible, as if he couldn't throw very fast, he wouldn't be boasting.

PeterO: you are right.

ehild

That's a huge mistake on my part. The whole point of conservation of energy is that everything in the system is conserved, so i can't add new mass. Thank you!

KE+PE = KE+PE

1/2 * 2.8 kg * v^(2) = 2.8kg * g * 1.5m
v=5.42 m/s

mv+mv=(m+m)v

.5 kg * v + 0 = (2.8kg)5.42 m/s
v= 30.4 m/s

It is all right now, but never write such things that "KE+PE= KE +PE" or mv+mv=(m+m)v. They do not mean anything but "everyting is identical with itself". Use different notations and/or iindices: KE1+PE1= KE2 +PE2, m1v+m2v2=(m1+m2)u.

ehild

PeterO is right. After the collision you equate the PE to the KE of the combined target + ball of clay (2.8kg).
This gives you the velocity AFTER the collision.
MOMENTUM (not KE) is conserved during the collision so you use momentum before = momentum after to calculate the velocity of the ball of clay.
This question is an example of something called a 'ballistic pendulum'... used to determine the speed of bullets by firing into a massive block and noting how high it swings. At my school we use this technique to determine the speed of air rifle pellets!

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is different. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, on the other hand, the total kinetic energy is not conserved and some of it is converted into other forms of energy.

3. What is the conservation of energy principle?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that in any physical process, the total amount of energy remains the same.

4. How is the conservation of energy principle applied in inelastic collisions?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, but the total amount of energy in the system remains the same. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the colliding objects is equal to the final kinetic energy plus the energy that was converted into other forms.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

A car crash, where the kinetic energy of the cars is converted into sound and heat, is an example of an inelastic collision. Another example is when a ball is dropped on the ground and some of its kinetic energy is converted into heat and sound upon impact.