How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia and Stopping Time of a Yo-Yo?

• Thread starter lobbob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary: The torque is r*F*sin(theta)? We already know the radius and force but what is the angle. Also, what are the right units for angular acceleration. Is 3 right, just the wrong units....?
lobbob

Homework Statement

A yo-yo is spun from rest by pulling on the string with a constant tension of 2.0 N. The radius of the inner rod on which the string is strung round is 0.50 cm. The tension is applied for 5.0 seconds after which the yo-yo is observed to spin with an angular velocity of 15 rad/sec.

a)What is the moment of inertia of the yo-yo?
b)What is the total angle the yo-yo has traveled through in these 5 seconds?

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia of hollow cylinder: I= 1/2*m*(r1^2+r2^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I know the moment of inertia of the yo-yo (hollow cylinder) is 1/2*m*(r1^2+r2^2). We are given the inner radius, but I have no idea how to find the outer radius. I know how to find the mass since we know the tension and we can work backwards.

For b) I don't even get what the problem means?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lobbob said:

Homework Statement

A yo-yo is spun from rest by pulling on the string with a constant tension of 2.0 N. The radius of the inner rod on which the string is strung round is 0.50 cm. The tension is applied for 5.0 seconds after which the yo-yo is observed to spin with an angular velocity of 15 rad/sec.

a)What is the moment of inertia of the yo-yo?
b)What is the total angle the yo-yo has traveled through in these 5 seconds?

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia of hollow cylinder: I= 1/2*m*(r1^2+r2^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I know the moment of inertia of the yo-yo (hollow cylinder) is 1/2*m*(r1^2+r2^2). We are given the inner radius, but I have no idea how to find the outer radius. I know how to find the mass since we know the tension and we can work backwards.

For b) I don't even get what the problem means?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!
Hello lobbob. Welcome to PF !

That formula for the moment of inertia, I= (1/2)*m*(r12+r22) doesn't pertain to this problem. You calculate the Moment of Inertia, I, by relating torque and angular momentum.

It's not clear from the wording of the problem, whether the yo-yo is free to fall during this 5 second time interval, or whether it sits on a frictionless surface.

You will likely need a free body diagram for the yo-yo.

SammyS said:
Hello lobbob. Welcome to PF !

That formula for the moment of inertia, I= (1/2)*m*(r12+r22) doesn't pertain to this problem. You calculate the Moment of Inertia, I, by relating torque and angular momentum.

It's not clear from the wording of the problem, whether the yo-yo is free to fall during this 5 second time interval, or whether it sits on a frictionless surface.

You will likely need a free body diagram for the yo-yo.

Thanks, a lot. You can assume the yo-yo is free to fall during this 5 second time interval. So can you also help me with part b. And, for calculating the torque, what would be the distance. Thanks

lobbob said:
Thanks, a lot. You can assume the yo-yo is free to fall during this 5 second time interval. So can you also help me with part b. And, for calculating the torque, what would be the distance. Thanks
I'm curious.

What is your result for part (a) ? The method you outlined initially will not work.

What is the angular acceleration of the yo-yo, assuming that angular acceleration is constant?

SammyS said:
I'm curious.

What is your result for part (a) ? The method you outlined initially will not work.What is the angular acceleration of the yo-yo, assuming that angular acceleration is constant?

The method I outlined was a start, then I realized it didn't work. That's why I asked for help.

I think the angular acceleration of the yo-yo would be 15 rad/s=0+a*5.0s. a=3.0 rad/s.

Also, could you please help me find the torque and the result for part(b). Thanks a lot! You saved my life. :)

lobbob said:
The method I outlined was a start, then I realized it didn't work. That's why I asked for help.

I think the angular acceleration of the yo-yo would be 15 rad/s=0+a*5.0s. a=3.0 rad/s.

Also, could you please help me find the torque and the result for part(b). Thanks a lot! You saved my life. :)
Find the torque about the center of the yo-yo. --That should be the center of mass.

Do you know how to find torque given the applied force?By the way, those are the wrong units for angular acceleration.

SammyS said:
Find the torque about the center of the yo-yo. --That should be the center of mass.

Do you know how to find torque given the applied force?

By the way, those are the wrong units for angular acceleration.

The torque is r*F*sin(theta)? We already know the radius and force but what is the angle. Also, what are the right units for angular acceleration. Is 3 right, just the wrong units. Thanks!

lobbob said:
The torque is r*F*sin(theta)? We already know the radius and force but what is the angle.
What angle does the string make with the radius of the inner rod at the point the string leaves the inner rod?

Also, what are the right units for angular acceleration. Is 3 right, just the wrong units. Thanks!
The equation you solved to get angular acceleration was correct. Combine the units of the angular velocity and time, which are what you used to get the answer. (If the units are wrong, the answer is wrong.)

Likes 1 person
SammyS said:
What angle does the string make with the radius of the inner rod at the point the string leaves the inner rod?

The equation you solved to get angular acceleration was correct. Combine the units of the angular velocity and time, which are what you used to get the answer. (If the units are wrong, the answer is wrong.)

I will just assume the angle is 90 deg. Do you think this is safe since it never actually states it. Thanks!

lobbob said:
I will just assume the angle is 90 deg. Do you think this is safe since it never actually states it. Thanks!

You don't have to assume it.

The vertical portion of the string is tangent to the rod which apparently has a circular cross-section. That does make a 90° angle with the radius.

Here is another part of the problem. Now you press your finger against the outer rim of the yo-yo(which has a radius of 4.0 cm) to bring it to a stop. You apply a constant force of 2.0N directed perpendicular to the rim of the yo-yo. The tension from part a) is no longer being applied to the yo-yo. The coefficient of kinetic friction between your finger and the edge of the yo-yo is 0.80. How long does it take for the yo-yo to come to a stop?

Thanks

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the property of matter that causes it to resist changes in its state of motion. In other words, it is the tendency of an object to remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does inertia affect a yo-yo?

Inertia affects a yo-yo by causing it to continue spinning in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, such as friction or gravity. This is why a yo-yo will continue moving up and down until the string runs out or a force is applied to change its direction.

3. What is the relationship between inertia and the yo-yo's sleep time?

Inertia plays a crucial role in a yo-yo's sleep time. A yo-yo with a larger mass has more inertia and will therefore resist changes in its state of motion, allowing it to spin for a longer period of time before slowing down and returning to the hand.

4. How does the shape of a yo-yo affect its inertia?

The shape of a yo-yo can affect its inertia in two ways. First, a yo-yo with a larger diameter will have a greater moment of inertia, making it more resistant to changes in its motion. Second, a yo-yo with a wider shape will have more surface area, causing it to experience more air resistance and slower down more quickly.

5. Can inertia be used to perform tricks with a yo-yo?

Yes, inertia can be used to perform tricks with a yo-yo. For example, the "around the world" trick uses the yo-yo's inertia to keep it spinning in a circular path around the hand. Other tricks, such as "walk the dog" and "rock the baby," also utilize inertia in their execution.