Inertia of a Giraffe in Terms of a Monkey (I'm serious)

In summary, the problem asks to find the inertia of the giraffe in terms of the inertia of the monkey in a mobile setup where both are 2-d away from their own rod. The equations used are I = md^2 for both the monkey and giraffe, and the total inertia of the system is equal to the sum of the inertia of each individual object. It is assumed that the mobile will hang balanced if still, allowing for the deduction of the relationship between the three masses. The question does not specify an axis for rotational inertia and it is unclear if the problem is asking about rotational inertia.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For my second thread of the day I will give the weirdest problem I've encountered in physics yet.
In the mobile what is the inertia of the giraffe mgir in terms of the inertia mm of the monkey?

Homework Equations

I = md2

The Attempt at a Solution

In the picture, the giraffe and monkey are on their own rod type thing, each 2-d away. So the inertia of both are mm 4 d2 = Im and mgir 4 d2 = Igir. It says to find the inertia of the giraffe in terms of the inertia of the monkey, but I don't really have any equations that relate the two as far as I know (other than the inertia of the whole system, but I don't know what that is equal to and that seems like it would lead me down a fruitless path). Can I even calculate inertias of objects individually? This isn't too clear to me.

Attachments

• Mazur1e.ch12.p18.jpg
    Mazur1e.ch12.p18.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 692
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to assume the mobile will hang balanced if still. This allows you to deduce the relationship between the three masses.
You don't state explicitly an axis for rotational inertia. There's no physical axis that they are both 2d from. Have you posted the whole question, word for word? Are you sure it's asking about rotational inertia?

Related to Inertia of a Giraffe in Terms of a Monkey (I'm serious)

What is inertia?

Inertia is a property of matter that describes an object's resistance to changes in its motion. It is a measure of how difficult it is to accelerate or decelerate an object.

How does inertia apply to a giraffe in terms of a monkey?

Inertia applies to a giraffe in terms of a monkey because both animals have mass and therefore possess inertia. Inertia can be observed when a giraffe or monkey is in motion and resists changes in its speed or direction.

Can the inertia of a giraffe be affected by a monkey?

Yes, the inertia of a giraffe can be affected by a monkey. If a monkey climbs onto a giraffe's back, the added mass of the monkey will increase the giraffe's inertia and make it more difficult to accelerate or decelerate.

Is the inertia of a giraffe different from that of a monkey?

Yes, the inertia of a giraffe is different from that of a monkey. This is because the mass and size of a giraffe and a monkey are different, resulting in different levels of inertia. Additionally, the distribution of mass within each animal may also impact their inertia.

How does understanding the inertia of a giraffe in terms of a monkey benefit scientific research?

Understanding the inertia of a giraffe in terms of a monkey can benefit scientific research by providing insight into the mechanics and physics of animal movement. This knowledge can be applied to studies on locomotion, energy conservation, and animal behavior. Additionally, studying the inertia of different animals can help scientists better understand the unique adaptations and abilities of different species.