Inertial frame where plane waves have the same frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses plane harmonic waves with frequencies of 1/p, 1/q, 1/r, and 1/s travelling in different directions. The objective is to show that there exists an inertial coordinate system in which they have the same frequency if and only if the inequality 3(p+q-r-s)^2 + 3(p-q+r-s)^2 + 3(p-q-r+s)^2 < (p+q+r+s)^2 holds true. The solution involves creating null forward pointing vectors and noticing a pattern between the components of the vectors and the terms in the inequality.
Halleluwah

Homework Statement

Plane harmonic waves of [itex] 1/p, 1/q, 1/r [/itex] and [itex] 1/s [/itex] are travelling, respectively, in the directions of the (non-unit) vectors [itex](1,1,1), (1,-1,-1), (-1,1,-1) [/itex] and [itex](-1,-1,1)[/itex]. Show that there exists an inertial coordinate system in which they have the same frequency if and only if
[tex]
3(p+q-r-s)^2 + 3(p-q+r-s)^2 + 3(p-q-r+s)^2 < (p+q+r+s)^2
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can make null forward pointing vectors which are:
[tex]
1/p(1,1/\sqrt{3}, 1/\sqrt{3},1/\sqrt{3})
[/tex]
and so on.
I notice each of the vectors components 'correspond' to one of the terms in the inequality. That is, the right hand side corresponds to the first compenent of each vector, the second component of the vectors corresponds to the first term on the left, the third component of the vectors corresponds to the second term on the left, and the fourth component of the vector corresponds to the third term on the left.

I would like some kind of hint because I'm not sure where to go with this. It seems that I am not seeing a key fact.

I made a mistake in copying this out. It should be ''plane harmonic waves of frequencies.''

Related to Inertial frame where plane waves have the same frequency

1. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What are plane waves?

Plane waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that travels in a straight line with a constant frequency and wavelength. They are described by a directional vector and a frequency.

3. How do plane waves have the same frequency in an inertial frame?

In an inertial frame, the frequency of a plane wave remains constant because the object emitting the wave is not experiencing any external forces that would cause a change in frequency. This is in accordance with Newton's first law of motion.

4. Can the frequency of a plane wave change in an inertial frame?

No, the frequency of a plane wave cannot change in an inertial frame unless an external force is applied. In this case, the wave would no longer be considered a plane wave.

5. How is the concept of an inertial frame important in understanding plane waves?

The concept of an inertial frame is important in understanding plane waves because it helps us understand the behavior of these waves in a consistent and predictable manner. In an inertial frame, the frequency of a plane wave remains constant, allowing us to accurately measure and analyze its properties.