Infinite series and improper integrals

In summary, the infinite series 1/x2 converges to pi2/6, but the associated improper integral converges to 1.
leehufford
Hello,

I've been reviewing some calculus material lately and I just have a couple questions:

1) I've seen infinite series shown graphically as a collection of rectangular elements under a curve representing an approximation of the area under the curve. But the outputs of the infinite series are just one dimensional numbers, so wouldn't lines coming from each natural number extending upward to the functional value of the curve be a more realistic graph? How do we get rectangles when we are summing numbers? We don't have a value for n=1.5 when the sum is from n=1 to n= infinity, so why is there rectangular area at x = 1.5 on the graph? (I know I'm wrong-- I just want to know why I am wrong.)

2) I came to my first question by noticing that the infinite series 1/x2 converges to pi2/6 while its associated improper integral converges to 1. I guess I feel like whatever differences exist in these values would be "straightened out" or made trivial because we are sending x to infinity.

Thanks in advance!

-Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
leehufford said:
Hello,

I've been reviewing some calculus material lately and I just have a couple questions:

1) I've seen infinite series shown graphically as a collection of rectangular elements under a curve representing an approximation of the area under the curve. But the outputs of the infinite series are just one dimensional numbers, so wouldn't lines coming from each natural number extending upward to the functional value of the curve be a more realistic graph? How do we get rectangles when we are summing numbers? We don't have a value for n=1.5 when the sum is from n=1 to n= infinity, so why is there rectangular area at x = 1.5 on the graph? (I know I'm wrong-- I just want to know why I am wrong.)
If we make the width of the rectangle equal to 1 and the height equal to ##x_n##, then the area is ##x_n##. So the area of the ##n##'th rectangle equals the ##n##'th term of the series. This is useful because it allows us to express the series as an integral (sum of the areas of the rectangles), which we may then compare to (i.e. bound it above and below by) other integrals whose values we know how to compute.

2) I came to my first question by noticing that the infinite series 1/x2 converges to pi2/6 while its associated improper integral converges to 1. I guess I feel like whatever differences exist in these values would be "straightened out" or made trivial because we are sending x to infinity.
Unless you make the rectangles thinner and thinner, the sum of the areas of the rectangles will NOT equal the integral of ##1/x^2##. At each value of ##n##, there is a discrepancy between the area of ##n##'th rectangle (which has width 1 and height ##1/n^2##) and ##\int_{n}^{n+1}(1/x^2) dx##. There is no reason to expect these discrepancies to cancel out as ##n \rightarrow \infty##.

jbunniii said:
If we make the width of the rectangle equal to 1 and the height equal to ##x_n##, then the area is ##x_n##. So the area of the ##n##'th rectangle equals the ##n##'th term of the series. This is useful because it allows us to express the series as an integral (sum of the areas of the rectangles), which we may then compare to (i.e. bound it above and below by) other integrals whose values we know how to compute.

Unless you make the rectangles thinner and thinner, the sum of the areas of the rectangles will NOT equal the integral of ##1/x^2##. At each value of ##n##, there is a discrepancy between the area of ##n##'th rectangle (which has width 1 and height ##1/n^2##) and ##\int_{n}^{n+1}(1/x^2) dx##. There is no reason to expect these discrepancies to cancel out as ##n \rightarrow \infty##.

Thanks! That made perfect sense.

-Lee

Related to Infinite series and improper integrals

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms, where each term is related to the previous one by a specific rule or pattern.

What is the difference between a finite series and an infinite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series has an unlimited number of terms.

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite, or the integrand has an infinite discontinuity within the limits of integration.

How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

An infinite series converges if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. It diverges if the sum of its terms approaches infinity or does not approach a finite value.

What are some common methods for evaluating improper integrals?

Some common methods for evaluating improper integrals include using the limit definition of an integral, using comparison tests, and using the Cauchy principal value. Other methods such as integration by parts and substitution can also be used in certain cases.