Infinite Series (Integral Test)

In summary, when substituting "∞" in the expression -(1/4)ln((n+2)/(n-2)), it results in 0 due to the property of logarithms. This can be found by rewriting the expression and taking the limit as n approaches infinity. The integral test can be used to determine the convergence of this series, which is found to be convergent. "Indeterminate" does not necessarily mean no value, but rather that the value is not directly determined by the given form.
Fernando Rios
Homework Statement
Use the integral test to find whether the following series converge or diverge.
Relevant Equations
∑n=3∞(1/(n^2-4))
I got the following expression:

-(1/4)ln((n+2)/(n-2))

When I substitute "∞" in the expression I found it undefined. However, the book says the series converges. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fernando Rios said:
When I substitute "∞" in the expression
And how do you do such a thing ?

Do you know of a way to rewrite $$\sum_{n=3}^\infty\ {1\over n^2-4}\ ?$$ (hint: write down a few terms ...)

[edit] Oops o:) ! Thanks Math !

Last edited:
Fernando Rios said:
Homework Statement: Use the integral test to find whether the following series converge or diverge.
Homework Equations: ∑n=3∞(1/(n^2-4))

I got the following expression:

-(1/4)ln((n+2)/(n-2))

When I substitute "∞" in the expression I found it undefined. However, the book says the series converges. What am I doing wrong?

When you "substitute ##\infty##" in ##-1/4 \ln((n+2)/(n-2))## you get ##\ln(1) = 0##.

The integral test is probably the easiest way to deduce convergence here (or using results about hyperharmonic series).

Thank you for your answer. Isn't ∞/∞ indeterminate?

Fernando Rios said:
I found it undefined
How so ? If you rewrite $$ {n+2\over n-2} = {1 + {2\over n} \over 1 - {2\over n} }$$ then you see that this goes to 1 if ##n\uparrow\infty## .

Yes, "[itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex]" is "indeterminate- but, do you understand what "indeterminate" means? It does not necessarily mean that there is no value. It simply means that the value is not determined directly by that form but might have a value calculated in some other form. That is what BvU did.

Likes Delta2
Got it. Thank you for your answers.

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms, where each term is derived from a specific mathematical pattern or formula.

2. What is the integral test for infinite series?

The integral test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series by comparing it to an improper integral. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges.

3. How is the integral test used to determine convergence or divergence?

To use the integral test, the series must be positive, continuous, and decreasing. Then, an improper integral is set up with the same terms as the series. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges.

4. Can the integral test be used for all infinite series?

No, the integral test can only be used for infinite series with positive, continuous, and decreasing terms. It cannot be used for series with alternating signs or terms that do not follow a specific pattern.

5. Are there any other methods for determining convergence or divergence of infinite series?

Yes, there are other methods such as the comparison test, ratio test, and root test, which can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series. It is important to use multiple methods to confirm the convergence or divergence of a series.