Infinite series of tan(1/n)

In summary: So, due to the divergence of the harmonic series, the given series diverges by comparison.In summary, the given infinite series of tan(1/n) diverges, as determined by the Limit Comparison Test with the series 1/n. This is because the limit of 1/cos(1/n) is equal to 1 and the limit of 1/n is equal to 0, indicating that both series must either converge or diverge together. Since 1/n obviously diverges, tan(1/n) also diverges. Additionally, a comparison test can be used to show that tan(1/n) is greater than 1/(4n), and since the harmonic series diverges, the given series also diverges.
Kaura
Question

∑ tan(1/n)
n = 1
Does the infinite series diverge or converge?

Equations
If limn → ∞ ≠ 0 then the series is divergent

Attempt
I tried using the limit test with sin(1/n)/cos(1/n) as n approaches infinity which I solved as sin(0)/cos(0) = 0/1 = 0

This does not rule out anything and I cannot think of what else to try

The answer stated that the series is divergent so I just need to know what test to use to determine that

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaura said:
Question

∑ tan(1/n)
n = 1
Does the infinite series diverge or converge?

Equations
If limn → ∞ ≠ 0 then the series is divergent

Attempt
I tried using the limit test with sin(1/n)/cos(1/n) as n approaches infinity which I solved as sin(0)/cos(0) = 0/1 = 0

This does not rule out anything and I cannot think of what else to try

The answer stated that the series is divergent so I just need to know what test to use to determine that
What other tests do you know about?

Also, in future posts, please do not delete the Homework Template.

Mark44 said:
What other tests do you know about?

Also, in future posts, please do not delete the Homework Template.

Wait I think I got it

Using the Limit Comparison Test with the infinite series of 1/n would give limn → ∞ tan(1/n)/(1/n) = n tan(1/n) = n sin(1/n)/cos(1/n)
n sin(1/n) = sin(1/n)/(1/n) = 1 so the limit can be written limn → ∞ 1/cos(1/n) = 1/cos(0) = 1 so the limit = 1

Since the limit is larger ≥ 0 that means that both series tan(1/n) and 1/n must converge or diverge and since 1/n obviously diverges tan(1/n) also diverges

Please let me know if I made any mistakes and thank you

Kaura said:
Wait I think I got it

Using the Limit Comparison Test with the infinite series of 1/n would give limn → ∞ tan(1/n)/(1/n) = n tan(1/n) = n sin(1/n)/cos(1/n)
n sin(1/n) = sin(1/n)/(1/n) = 1 so the limit can be written limn → ∞ 1/cos(1/n) = 1/cos(0) = 1 so the limit = 1
Better:
##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{\tan(1/n)}{1/n} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\sin(1/n)}{1/n} \frac 1 {\cos(1/n)} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\sin(1/n)}{1/n}\cdot \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac 1 {\cos(1/n)} = 1 \cdot 1 = 1##
Kaura said:
Since the limit is larger ≥ 0 that means that both series tan(1/n) and 1/n must converge or diverge and since 1/n obviously diverges tan(1/n) also diverges

Overall, looks good.

Kaura said:
Wait I think I got it

You can use a comparison test: for small ##x > 0## we have ##\sin x > x/2## and ##\cos x < 2##, so ##\tan x > x/4##, hence ##\tan(1/n) > 1/(4n)##.

1. What is an infinite series of tan(1/n)?

An infinite series of tan(1/n) is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of all the terms in the sequence tan(1/n), where n is a positive integer. It is an example of an infinite series, where the number of terms is infinite.

2. What is the formula for calculating the sum of an infinite series of tan(1/n)?

The formula for calculating the sum of an infinite series of tan(1/n) is ∑ tan(1/n) = tan(1/1) + tan(1/2) + tan(1/3) + ...

3. What is the limit of an infinite series of tan(1/n)?

The limit of an infinite series of tan(1/n) is 0. This means that as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity, the sum of the terms will approach 0.

4. How is an infinite series of tan(1/n) used in mathematics?

An infinite series of tan(1/n) is used in various mathematical applications, such as in calculus, number theory, and complex analysis. It is also used to approximate other functions and to study the behavior of certain mathematical functions.

5. What is the importance of studying infinite series of tan(1/n)?

Studying infinite series of tan(1/n) helps us understand the concept of infinity and its applications in mathematics. It also helps us develop mathematical techniques for evaluating infinite series and understanding the behavior of mathematical functions. It has numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.