Infinite series question with z-transform addendum

In summary, the conversation is about a student doing pre-study for signals analysis using MIT OCW and other resources. They are working with infinite series and have discovered a closed form for the series (0 to inf) of nR^{n-1}. They have also found a closed form for n^2a^n and n^3a^n, but not for n^4a^n. The student is also exploring the relation between their findings and Z-Transform Differentiation. They are also looking for additional resources for self-teaching signals and systems.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

Hello,

I am currently doing some holiday pre-study for signals analysis coming up next semester. I'm mainly using MIT OCW 6.003 from 2011 with some other web resources (youtube, etc).

The initial stuff is heavy on the old infinite series stuff, that seems often skimmed over in previous calculus study, and was for me.

Working from a transfer function as an infinite series, I was curious if I could figure out a closed-form of the infinite right hand sum (0 to inf) of [itex]nR^{n-1}[/itex]

[tex]0+1+2R+3R^2+4R^3+5R^4+...[/tex]

by working in reverse through parts of synthetic division I found that [itex]\frac{1}{(1-R)^2}[/itex] works for a closed form of the previous infinite series.

Then by the same technique found that an infinite right hand sum for [itex]n^2a^n[/itex] has the closed form [itex]\frac{a(1+a)}{(1-a)^3}[/itex].

I thought I saw a pattern ([itex]\frac{a(1+a)^k}{(1-a)^{k+1}}, from \ n^ka^n[/itex]), but for the infinite right hand sum of [itex]n^3a^n[/itex] reversing through synthetic division reveals a closed form [itex]\frac{a(1+4a+a^2)}{(1-a)^4}[/itex]...so I thought maybe the coefficients of the numerators polynomial are simply getting squared...but going through this again for [itex]n^4a^n[/itex] shows that this is not the case.

What is the general closed form formula for an infinite right hand series of [itex]n^ka^n[/itex]?

Also, I am aware of the property of Z-Transform Differentiation, [itex]nx[n] \leftrightarrow -z\frac{dX(z)}{dz}[/itex]. Does this relate to what I'm exploring above? If so, how?

PS. I'd love to know of any other good resources for self-teaching signals and systems stuff :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is a general closed form with elemental functions. You seem to be asking about the poly-logarithm function just shifted by 1.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the notation Σn=1 to ∞ an, where "Σ" is the summation symbol, "n=1" indicates the starting value of the index, and "∞" represents infinity. Each term, an, is determined by a pattern or rule.

2. What is a z-transform addendum?

A z-transform addendum is an additional term added to an infinite series that transforms the series into a z-transform. This addendum is typically in the form of z^n, where "z" is a complex variable and "n" is the index of the term. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of the series using z-transform techniques.

3. How is the z-transform addendum related to the z-transform?

The z-transform addendum is a crucial part of the z-transform. It is used to convert a discrete-time signal or function into a complex variable, "z", which can then be analyzed using z-transform techniques. The z-transform addendum is multiplied by each term in the infinite series to create the z-transform.

4. What are the applications of infinite series with z-transform addendum?

Infinite series with z-transform addendum are commonly used in digital signal processing and control systems. They allow for the analysis and design of discrete-time systems, such as digital filters and controllers. They are also used in image and audio processing, communication systems, and other fields that deal with discrete-time signals.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating infinite series with z-transform addendum?

There are several techniques for evaluating infinite series with z-transform addendum, including partial fraction expansion, geometric series, and power series. These techniques involve manipulating the terms of the series to simplify the expression and ultimately find a closed form solution. Other methods, such as the residue theorem and contour integration, can also be used for more complex series.