Infinite Series using Falling Factorials

In summary, the given series can be rewritten as a sum of simpler series using partial fractions, and then each of these simpler series can be evaluated using the result you found for the series involving (x)_{-m}.
WittyName

Homework Statement

Determine [itex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4k+1)(4k+2)(4k+3)(4k+4)}[/itex].

Homework Equations

## (x)_m=x(x-1)(x-2)...(x-(m-1)) ##, integer ##m\geq0##.
## (x)_{-m}=\frac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)...(x+m)}##, integer ##m>0##.
## Δ((x)_m)=m(x)_{m-1}##
[itex]\sum_{a\leq k<b} (k)_m=\frac{(x)_{m+1}}{m+1} |_a^b[/itex], if ##m\neq-1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I noted that [itex](4k)_{-4}=\frac{1}{(4k+1)(4k+2)(4k+3)(4k+4)} [/itex]; so I rewrote the series as $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(\sum_{k=0}^n (4k)_{-4}). $$
Evaluating the series I get,
[tex]
\begin{align}
\sum_{k=0}^n (4k)_{-4} &=\frac{(4k)_{-3}}{-3}|_0^{n+1}\\
&= \frac{(4(n+1))_{-3}}{-3}-\frac{(0)_{-3}}{-3}\\
&= -\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{[4(n+1)+1][4(n+1)+2][4(n+1)+3]}+\frac{1}{18}
\end{align}
[/tex]
I then took the limit of the closed form expression for the series above, $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(-\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{[4(n+1)+1][4(n+1)+2][4(n+1)+3]}+\frac{1}{18})=\frac{1}{18}.$$

The answer is ln2/4-pi/24. This is the first time that I've used the falling factorials outside of the textbook in which they appeared; so I'm not sure if using it on this question is even correct (but i can't see why it wouldn't be). If anyone can give me a hint or explanation, it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.Your approach is on the right track, but there is a mistake in your calculation. The series you have written is not equivalent to the given series. To see this, try evaluating the first few terms of both series and you will see that they are not the same.

The correct approach is to use partial fractions to rewrite the given series as a sum of simpler series. Specifically, we can write:

$$\frac{1}{(4k+1)(4k+2)(4k+3)(4k+4)} = \frac{1}{6}\left(\frac{1}{4k+1}-\frac{1}{4k+2}-\frac{1}{4k+3}+\frac{1}{4k+4}\right)$$

Then we can split the original series into four separate series and evaluate each one individually. Using the result you already found for the series involving (4k)_{-4}, we have:

$$\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4k+1)(4k+2)(4k+3)(4k+4)} = \frac{1}{6}\left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=0}^n (4k)_{-4} - \lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=0}^n (4k+1)_{-4} - \lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=0}^n (4k+2)_{-4} + \lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=0}^n (4k+3)_{-4}\right)$$

Evaluating each of these separately, we get:

$$\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4k+1)(4k+2)(4k+3)(4k+4)} = \frac{1}{6}\left(\frac{1}{18} - \frac{1}{162} - \frac{1}{486} + \frac{1}{486}\right) = \frac{1}{18}$$

which is the correct answer.

1. What is an infinite series using falling factorials?

An infinite series using falling factorials is a mathematical concept that involves the sum of an infinite number of terms, where each term is a factorial expression with decreasing values. It is represented as Σn!/(n-k)! for k=0 to infinity.

2. How is an infinite series using falling factorials different from a regular infinite series?

An infinite series using falling factorials is different from a regular infinite series because the terms in the series involve factorials with decreasing values, while a regular infinite series involves terms with constant values. This difference results in different convergence properties and methods for evaluating the series.

3. What are the convergence properties of an infinite series using falling factorials?

The convergence properties of an infinite series using falling factorials depend on the values of the parameters n and k. If n and k are both positive integers, the series will converge. If n is a negative integer, the series will diverge. If k is a positive integer and n is a real number, the series will converge for values of n between -1 and k-1.

4. How is an infinite series using falling factorials used in real-world applications?

An infinite series using falling factorials has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems related to probability, statistics, and recursive functions.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating an infinite series using falling factorials?

Some techniques for evaluating an infinite series using falling factorials include using the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. Other methods include using the properties of the factorial function and manipulating the series to convert it into a known series with a known convergence property.