Infinite well potential - changed bottom

In summary: You just need to finish it.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy shifts for all excited states to first order in epsilon for a potential well with the shape V(x) = epsilon*sin(pi*x/b), where the original well had V(x) = 0 for 0 <= x <= b and V = infinity elsewhere. The method used is <Psi_n|H1|Psi_n>, where H1 = epsilon*sin(pi*x/b). The wave function for the original potential well is given as sqrt(2/b)*sin(n*pi*x/b), and the question asks for suggestions on how to handle the potential well with the changed shape. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the particle's wave function needs to be determined for
Kidiz

Homework Statement

The bottom of an infinite well is changed to have the shape

$$V(x) = \epsilon \sin {\dfrac{\pi x}{b}}, 0 \le x \le b$$

Calculate the energy shifts for all the excited states to first order in ##\epsilon##. Note that the well originally had ##V(x) = 0## for ##0 \le x \le b## and ##V = \infty ## elsewhere.

Homework Equations

/Attempt at a solution[/B]

I know I should use ##<\Psi _n | H_1 | \Psi_n>##, and that ##H_1 = \epsilon \sin {\dfrac{\pi x}{b}}##. If I had ##\Psi _n## all I to do was integrate between ##0## and ##b##. However, I don't have ##\Psi _n##. For the "normal" potential well, I know that ##\Psi _ n = \sqrt{2/b} \sin {\dfrac{n \pi x}{b}}##. However, that is not the case in this exercise.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You say: "However, that is not the case in this exercise." Why is it not? That is, what would the wave functions be if epsilon was zero?

DEvens said:
You say: "However, that is not the case in this exercise." Why is it not? That is, what would the wave functions be if epsilon was zero?

For epsilon = 0, we'd have no potential inside the box, so the solution would be ##\Psi _ n = \sqrt{2/b} \sin {\dfrac{n \pi x}{b}}##. I say that it's not the same because there's a space (below the potential line) in which the particle can not be. Is it the same though?

Kidiz said:
I say that it's not the same because there's a space (below the potential line) in which the particle can not be.

Um... What? It's a finite potential value inside an infinite square well. What do you mean "in which the particle can not be"? Where can't it be? And why not?

DEvens said:
Um... What? It's a finite potential value inside an infinite square well. What do you mean "in which the particle can not be"? Where can't it be? And why not?

I'm imagining something like this: http://sketchtoy.com/64403013

I said that the particle couldn't be in C, only in A. But now that I think about it, I don't see why it could not be in C.

Um... You do realize that your graph is plotting the value of the potential, right? It does not tell you where the particle is. It does not make sense what you said. The particle is neither in A nor C. It's not on that graph.

The particle has a wave function. You have to work out that wave function. Or at least, you are asked to work it out to first order in epsilon. You are being asked to do a perturbation calculation. You had most of it in your first post.

1. What is an infinite well potential?

An infinite well potential is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to a specific region with infinite potential energy barriers on either side.

2. How is the bottom of an infinite well potential changed?

The bottom of an infinite well potential can be changed by altering the potential energy function, either by adjusting the height of the barriers or by adding a potential energy term within the well region.

3. What is the significance of changing the bottom of an infinite well potential?

Changing the bottom of an infinite well potential can have a significant impact on the behavior of particles within the well. It can affect the allowed energy levels and the probability of finding a particle at a certain position.

4. What are some real-world applications of an infinite well potential?

An infinite well potential is a useful concept in studying the behavior of electrons in semiconductors and in modeling the behavior of atoms in molecules. It can also be used in understanding the properties of nanoscale systems.

5. Can the bottom of an infinite well potential be changed experimentally?

Yes, the bottom of an infinite well potential can be changed experimentally by manipulating the potential energy function in a physical system. This can be done through the use of external fields or by changing the physical properties of the system, such as the size or shape of the well.