Infinite well with delta well in the middle

In summary, a particle in 1D is subject to a potential with a delta function in the middle. The student attempted to find the wavefunction for a particular energy using the Schroedinger's equation and translation of the coordinate system. However, they found that there are two sets of solutions, one around the center of the well and the other set off to the side. However, they were able to find the wavefunction for a particular energy using the Schroedinger's equation and translation of the coordinate system.
bznm

Homework Statement

I Have tried to solve a problem about infinite potential well with a delta well in the middle, but I haven't the results and so I can't check if the proceeding is wrong. I post the steps that I have followed hoping someone can help me to understand.

We have a particle in 1D that can moves only on ##[-a.a]## because of the potential ##V(x)=\begin{cases}-\lambda \delta (x), x\in(-a,a)\\ \infty, otherwise\end{cases}##

(##\lambda>0)##

Homework Equations

The Schroedinger's Equation is:
##\psi''(x)=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2} (V(x)-E) \psi (x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have:##\psi''(x)=-\frac{2m}{\hbar^2} E \psi (x)##
I have assumed E>0

Then I have translated the axis origin, and the segment [-a, a] now is [0,2a]

We have two wavefunctions:

##\psi_-=A\sin kx +B\cos kx## for ##0<x<a##

##\psi_+=C\sin kx +D\cos kx## for ##a<x<2a##

Conditions:

##\psi_-(0)=0 \rightarrow B=0##

##\psi_+(a)=\psi_- (a) \rightarrow D=0## (so I have obtained ##\psi(x)=A \sin k(x)##)

##\psi(2a)=0\rightarrow k=\frac{n\pi}{2a}##

So I have obtained: ##\displaystyle k=\sqrt \frac{2mE}{\hbar} \rightarrow E={\frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2}}##

The energy spectrum is limited on the lower side, but non in the upper one.

For hight energy, we have a continuous spectrum.

Anyway, ##\psi_n(x)=A \sin \frac{n \pi}{2a}##, where n=1, 2, ..

Many thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
bznm said:
Conditions:

##\psi_-(0)=0 \rightarrow B=0##
OK
##\psi_+(a)=\psi_- (a) \rightarrow D=0## (so I have obtained ##\psi(x)=A \sin k(x)##)
D does not have to be zero.

Also, note that nowhere in your analysis have you taken into account that there is a delta function potential in the middle of the well.

It's OK to shift the origin to the left end of the well. It should work out. But I find it easier to keep the origin at the center of the well.

TSny said:
OK

D does not have to be zero.
If it isn't zero, I obtain 2 equations, one for tan(ka) and the other for tan(2ka).. but then I don't know how to proceed...
Also, note that nowhere in your analysis have you taken into account that there is a delta function potential in the middle of the well.
for the condition on the derivative?
I don't know how to set it, because if D isn't zero, I can't write the wavefunction in x=a..

What should I do?

bznm said:
If it isn't zero, I obtain 2 equations, one for tan(ka) and the other for tan(2ka).. but then I don't know how to proceed...
Can you show more detail for how you arrive at 2 equations and state the 2 equations you obtain?

##\psi_+(2a)=Csin2ka+Dcos 2ka=0 \rightarrow tan (2ka)=-D/C##
##\psi_-(a)=\psi_+(a); Asin ka =Csinka+D cos ka \rightarrow tan ka= D/(A-C)##

I have thought to do the axis translation in order to avoid splitting the problem in odd and even solutions...

Even if you shift the origin to the left side of the well, you will still get two sets of solutions: one set will be even about the center of the well and the other set will be odd about the center. You can see that you are now getting trig functions of both ka and 2ka. So, you will probably need to invoke some "double angle" trig identities.

Anyway, if you want to proceed with your choice of origin, your 2 equations for A, C, and D look correct to me. One of these constants, A say, can be used to normalize the wavefunction at the end. So, you can use your two equations to determine C and D in terms of A.

However, there is another condition due to the existence of the delta potential. This will give you another equation that must be satisfied.

I'm sorry, but my textbook, dealing with the infinite well, explicitly says "In order to avoid different steps for odd and even autofunctions, we choose the coordinates origin in one of the extreme points of the segment" and so does in the next steps. Is it wrong?

bznm said:
I'm sorry, but my textbook, dealing with the infinite well, explicitly says "In order to avoid different steps for odd and even autofunctions, we choose the coordinates origin in one of the extreme points of the segment" and so does in the next steps. Is it wrong?
No, the book is correct. However, for the problem with the delta function I believe you will see that the solutions break up into two sets.

To see how this comes about, you will need to set up the condition that the wavefunction must satisfy at the location of the delta function.

1. What is an infinite well with delta well in the middle?

An infinite well with delta well in the middle is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined in an infinitely deep potential well with a localized potential barrier in the center.

2. How does the presence of a delta well affect the behavior of a particle in an infinite well?

The presence of a delta well creates a localized potential barrier in the center of the infinite well. This causes the particle to experience a potential energy barrier, which affects its energy levels and probability of being found in different regions of the well.

3. What are the energy levels of a particle in an infinite well with delta well in the middle?

The energy levels of a particle in an infinite well with delta well in the middle can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation. The presence of the delta well creates additional potential energy barriers, resulting in a more complex energy level spectrum compared to a traditional infinite well.

4. How does the width and strength of the delta well affect the particle's behavior?

The width and strength of the delta well can significantly impact the behavior of the particle in the infinite well. A wider and stronger delta well will result in a higher potential energy barrier, making it more difficult for the particle to pass through and affecting its energy levels and probability distribution.

5. What real-world applications does the infinite well with delta well in the middle have?

The infinite well with delta well in the middle is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics, so it does not have direct real-world applications. However, it is a valuable tool for understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems, which has implications in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.