Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing the ground state wavefunction for a potential of the form V(x)=V_{0}sin({\frac{\pi x}{L}}) with 0<x<L and V(x)=\infty outside this range. The solution for the infinite square well with zero potential inside is \phi_{n} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin({\frac{n\pi x}{L}}). The individual is seeking advice on how to solve for the leading coefficients in order to find the ground state energy.
jyoung11509

Homework Statement

Assume a potential of the form [tex]V(x)=V_{0}sin({\frac{\pi x}{L}})[/tex] with 0<x<L and [tex]V(x)=\infty[/tex] outside this range. Assume [tex]\psi = \sum a_{j} \phi_{j}(x)[/tex], where [tex]\phi_{j}(x)[/tex] are solutions for the infinite square well. Construct the ground state wavefunction using at least 10 basis functions.

Homework Equations

I obtained the solution [tex]\phi_{n} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin({\frac{n\pi x}{L}})[/tex] for the infinite square well with zero potential inside.

The Attempt at a Solution

After obtaining the solution shown above, I attempted to expand the summation. I know that I want to do a linear combination of energy eigenstates, however, I am not sure what to do about the leading coefficients. I have found by searching that [tex]a_{j} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi_{j}^{*}(x) \psi dx[/tex], but how can I solve this if I'm using the [tex]a_{j}[/tex]'s to find [tex]\psi[/tex]?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to apply the Schrodinger equation to your linear combination, since the particle in a box basis are not solutions once we turn on this sinusoidal potential. You'll probably be able to use a trig identity to simplify the potential terms with [itex]V(x) \phi_k(x)[/itex], then group like orders of [itex]\sin(n\pi x/L)[/itex]. This will give you some recursive relations among the [itex]a_j[/itex]. To obtain the ground state energy, you might have to minimize something.

1. What is an Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential?

An Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle in a confined space with a sinusoidal potential energy function. It is a simplified version of the more complex Infinite Square Well model, and is often used to understand the properties of atoms and molecules.

2. How does the potential energy function affect the behavior of particles in an Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential?

The potential energy function in an Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential varies as a sinusoidal wave, resulting in a periodic potential. This affects the energy levels of the particle, causing discrete energy states instead of a continuous spectrum. The particle is also confined to specific regions within the well, known as energy bands, depending on its energy level.

3. What is the significance of studying the Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential?

The Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces and can provide insights into the properties of atoms and molecules. It also allows for the study of quantum tunneling, where a particle can pass through a barrier even if it does not have enough energy to overcome it.

4. How is the Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential different from the Infinite Square Well model?

The main difference between these two models is the shape of their potential energy functions. The Infinite Square Well model has a constant potential energy within the well, while the Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential has a varying potential energy that follows a sinusoidal wave. This results in different energy levels and behaviors for particles within each model.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential?

While the Infinite Well with Sinusoidal Potential is a theoretical model, it has been used to study the behavior of electrons in crystals and semiconductors, which have a similar periodic potential. This model has also been applied in the field of solid-state physics to understand the properties of materials and their electronic structure.