Infinite wire -- Magnetic field from a current in a long L-shaped wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field at a point perpendicular to a long wire with a changing current direction. The use of Biot-Savart or Ampere's law is suggested, but there are concerns about applying these equations to semi-infinite wires. The suggestion is made to treat the wire as two half-infinite wires and add two finite segments, but it is noted that Biot-Savart is a general integral and can be applied to each individual segment.
Hubbles

Homework Statement

A long wire with a current changes direction by 90 degrees. Calculate the magnetic field at the point at a perpendicular distance of S from the wire before it changed direction and a distance of T from the segment of the wire after it changed direction.

Homework Equations

I suspect Biot-Savart or perhaps Ampere's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about separating the two perpendicular wire segments to manage them as separate semi infinite wires. But by doing that I encounter some problems. Using Amperes law and basically halving the field of a true infinite wire I don't take into account the whole wire segment. Doing it that way only works if the semi infinite segment extends from a perpendicular line connected to the point we measure, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hubbles said:
Doing it that way only works if the semi infinite segment extends from a perpendicular line connected to the point we measure, right?
Yes.

Could you treat it as two half infinite wires with Biot-Savart and add two finite segments on top of that? Or just two semi infinites from the correct distance. But then again I'm not sure how well Biot-Savart handles semi infinites.

Hubbles said:
Could you treat it as two half infinite wires with Biot-Savart and add two finite segments on top of that? Or just two semi infinites from the correct distance. But then again I'm not sure how well Biot-Savart handles semi infinites.
You write as though Biot-Savart only applies to (half) infinite wires. It is a quite general integral.
There is no benefit in dividing each straight segment into two separate integrals. Just do one integral for each straight segment. It is not difficult.

1. What is an infinite wire?

An infinite wire is a theoretical concept used in physics to simplify calculations in certain scenarios. It is a straight wire with no end points, meaning it extends infinitely in both directions.

2. How does a current in an infinite wire create a magnetic field?

According to Ampere's Law, a current in a wire produces a circular magnetic field around the wire. In an infinite wire, the direction of the magnetic field is constant and perpendicular to the wire, creating a cylindrical shape.

3. What is an L-shaped wire?

An L-shaped wire is a wire that forms an L-shape, with two perpendicular segments connected at a right angle. In the context of this scenario, the wire is assumed to be infinitely long in both directions.

4. How does the magnetic field from a current in an L-shaped wire differ from that of a straight wire?

The magnetic field from a current in an L-shaped wire is more complex than that of a straight wire. It still follows the cylindrical shape, but the direction of the field varies at different points along the L-shaped wire due to the change in direction of the wire itself.

5. Are there any real-world applications of an infinite wire and L-shaped wire?

While infinite wires and L-shaped wires are theoretical concepts, they have practical applications in electromagnetic theory and can be used to model the behavior of real-life systems such as antennas and magnetic fields around long wires or conductors.