Information paradox, dismissed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the BH information paradox in modern physics and a new paper that claims to solve it by showing the process is unitary. However, the paper only addresses a simplified version of the paradox and does not consider the backreaction on the metric. The speaker also mentions their own paper that argues there may be nothing fundamentally wrong if unitarity is violated in Hawking radiation.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
One of the important problems in modern physics is BH information paradox, which is the problem with non-unitarity of Hawking radiation. But now there is this paper which says that this process is actually unitary and so BH information paradox is, not solved, but dismissed. I'm posting this thread to discuss this paper because it seems to me that this is an important paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the paper does not resolve the BH information paradox and should not have been published in Phys. Rev. Lett. Let me explain.

The evolution described in the paper is manifestly unitary because it is based on the Schrodinger equation (15). However, this is not so much different from the standard Hawking analysis. The standard Hawking analysis is based on the Bogoliubov transformation (not Schrodinger equation), which is also known to be manifestly unitary. The outside Hawking radiation is correlated with inside Hawking quanta, so information is conserved.

But if the Bogoliubov transformation is manifestly unitary, then where is the problem with unitarity? The problem appears when one takes into account the backreaction on the metric. Due to radiation, the black hole must shrink. But then, when the black hole becomes very small, how can all those inside Hawking quanta fit into such a small black hole? That's (one version of) the BH information paradox.

On the other hand, the paper above does not even consider the backreaction and hence does not really address the true BH information paradox. All what this paper shows is that, if we ignore questions of that form, then the evolution appears to be manifestly unitary. But that's something what we already knew with the standard Bogoliubov transformation.

In other words, the paper solves only a straw man version of the BH information problem (not the true BH information problem), which was already solved a long time ago (albeit, in a slightly different technical form).

Last edited:
Likes JK423 and ShayanJ
Let me also use this thread to advertise one of my own papers on BH information paradox. In
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1502.04324 [JCAP 04 (2015) 002]
I argue that there may be nothing fundamentally wrong or inconsistent if unitarity is really violated by Hawking radiation.

Likes ShayanJ
Demystifier said:
I argue that there may be nothing fundamentally wrong or inconsistent if unitarity is really violated by Hawking radiation.
Not a popular line of thought, in view of the great lengths that are gone to in order to keep violations of unitarity from the standard quantum formalism(either relativistic or not) even if it takes ignoring crucial features of the theory like dynamics basis-dependence or regularization.

Last edited:

1. What is the information paradox?

The information paradox refers to the contradiction between the laws of physics and the concept of black holes. According to the laws of physics, information cannot be destroyed, but the concept of black holes suggests that information can be lost forever.

2. How was the information paradox dismissed?

The information paradox was dismissed through the theory of Hawking radiation. This theory suggests that black holes emit radiation, causing them to eventually evaporate and release the information that was thought to be lost.

3. Who first proposed the idea of the information paradox?

The idea of the information paradox was first proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. He argued that black holes violate the laws of thermodynamics by destroying information.

4. What evidence supports the dismissal of the information paradox?

Observations of black holes and the detection of Hawking radiation provide evidence for the dismissal of the information paradox. Additionally, theoretical calculations and experiments have supported the idea that black holes do not destroy information.

5. Are there any remaining challenges or debates surrounding the information paradox?

While the idea of the information paradox has largely been dismissed, there are still some debates and challenges surrounding the concept. Some scientists argue that the information released through Hawking radiation may not be in a usable form, while others propose alternative theories to explain the paradox.