Injection radius in a Penning trap

• I
  • Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date
This initial radius can vary depending on the experimental setup and loading method. However, once the ion is trapped and the cooling process begins, the radius can be reduced to the desired size. In summary, the initial radius of an ion in a Penning trap is determined by the velocity distribution and trapping potential/field during the loading process. It can vary depending on the experimental setup, but can be reduced through cooling to the desired size.
Malamala
Hello! When an ion is injected in a Penning trap, how well is its initial radius know? I understand that usually people use cooling mechanism to reduce that radius as much as needed, but I was wondering in the beginning, before the cooling starts, how small is the radius of the ion and how well is it know? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand the question. It isn't known until it's measured. Typically the initial position of an ion depends on how it's loaded to the trap. I am sure the probability distribution for loading an ion would be very different in the ALPHA experiment compared to the electron g-2 measurement (for example).

The most general answer I can give is that the expectation value of the radial position of the ion is determined by the velocity distribution of the ions being loaded and trapping potential (if loading axially) or the strength of the magnetic field (if loading radially).

1. What is an injection radius in a Penning trap?

The injection radius in a Penning trap refers to the distance from the center of the trap where charged particles can be injected into the trap without being lost due to collisions with the walls.

2. How is the injection radius determined in a Penning trap?

The injection radius is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the potential of the trap electrodes. These parameters can be adjusted to create a stable region for particle injection.

3. Why is the injection radius important in a Penning trap?

The injection radius is important because it determines the efficiency of particle injection into the trap. A larger injection radius allows for a higher number of particles to be injected and trapped, increasing the sensitivity and accuracy of experiments.

4. Can the injection radius be changed in a Penning trap?

Yes, the injection radius can be changed by adjusting the magnetic field strength or the potential of the trap electrodes. This allows for flexibility in experimental design and optimization of particle injection.

5. What factors can affect the injection radius in a Penning trap?

The injection radius can be affected by variations in the magnetic field strength, variations in the potential of the trap electrodes, and the presence of any external electric or magnetic fields. These factors can cause the injection radius to shift and may need to be adjusted for optimal particle injection.