Inquiry about M.S. Nuclear Engineering programs

In summary, the speaker is in their last semester of a Nuclear Engineering B.S. program at the University of Michigan and is considering M.S. programs at several other schools, including NC State, University of Tennessee, Oregon State, and South Carolina. They are interested in core modeling and design and have researched the universities and talked with faculty, but are seeking additional insight before making a final decision. The speaker has a particular interest in the University of Michigan and would appreciate any information on graduate level research and coursework there.
JimHarbaughIsMyGod
I'm in my last semester of my Nuclear Engineering B.S. at Michigan and looking at M.S. programs. The main schools I'm looking at are University of Michigan (already applied), NC State (already applied), University of Tennessee (accepted upon receipt of degree confirmation, final marks, and official transcript), Oregon State (will apply), and South Carolina (will apply).

I have research interest in core modeling and design (Work with Hitachi RBWR Burner, know CASMO, Serpent, PARCS, PATHS) and was wondering if anyone could offer insight into the faculty, facilities, work with national labs, funding, etc., of the listed schools pertaining to my research interests.

I have done my own research on these universities and talked with some faculty, but any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. I'll be taking my decision down to the deadline and want to make the best choice I can.

Thank you for your time reading this wall of text.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the faculty at the University of Michigan quite well (esp. Dr. Thomas Downar), but if anyone has experience with graduate level research and coursework here I would be very appreciative of any information.

Related to Inquiry about M.S. Nuclear Engineering programs

1. What is a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering program?

A M.S. in Nuclear Engineering program is a graduate-level program that focuses on the study and application of nuclear physics, radiation, and engineering principles to design and operate nuclear systems for energy production, medical and industrial applications, and national defense purposes.

2. What are the prerequisites for a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering program?

The prerequisites for a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering program may vary depending on the university, but typically include a bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, or a related field, as well as coursework in calculus, physics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require applicants to have a certain GPA and relevant work experience.

3. What career opportunities are available with a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering?

Graduates with a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as nuclear power, medical imaging and therapy, nuclear waste management, and national defense. They can work as nuclear engineers, radiation safety officers, research scientists, and consultants, among other roles.

4. What is the duration of a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering program?

The duration of a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering program can range from 1.5 to 2 years, depending on the university and whether the program is full-time or part-time. Some universities also offer accelerated programs for students who wish to complete the program in a shorter time frame.

5. Is a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering program accredited?

Yes, most M.S. in Nuclear Engineering programs are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) in the United States. It is important to check the accreditation status of the program before enrolling to ensure that it meets the standards set by the industry and employers.