How to install PLUTO on Windows

In summary, the author is having trouble getting the PLUTO software to work on Windows. The authors advise following the instructions in the documentation, but the author has not been able to do so. The author is thinking of trying out a docker image, but is Unsure about which one to use.
Michal Fishkin
Hi!
I'm a first-year engineering student. I'm working on a project and was having trouble getting some of the software. I was hoping someone in this forum knew what I was dealing with and could help me out. I would really appreciate it. :)

The code is called PLUTO. It's found here: http://plutocode.ph.unito.it/
And the download link: http://plutocode.ph.unito.it/download.html
And the user manual!: http://plutocode.ph.unito.it/files/userguide.pdf

So this should be easy as pie, just follow the instructions and you're home free, right?
The thing is, I have Windows. And for some reason, the code isn't really working.
The authors assure me this can run on Windows, but I'm struggling. I can download, unzip, and run setup.py without too much of a problem, but after that, it gets confused with file directories. What should I do?
I would also like to download pyPLUTO but that's a future bridge to cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It looks Linux based according to the manual and relies on Linux tools being there too.

Perhaps there’s a docker image you could install and run on Windows after you install docker of course.

Michal Fishkin said:
The thing is, I have Windows. And for some reason, the code isn't really working.
The documentation says this in the Introduction (Ch. 1):
PLUTO has been successfully ported to several parallel platforms including Linux, Windows/Cygwin, Mac OS X, Beowulf clusters, IBM power4 / power5 / power6, SGI Irix, IBM BluGene/P and several others.
So Windows alone is not enough. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin for more information. You also need at least Python, a C compiler, and GNU Make for the static grid, single processor runs.

Likes jedishrfu
Guess: It might be a problem with which version of Windows you have. I have experienced problems where a program runs fine on Windows 7 but not on Windows 10.

Likes hagopbul and jedishrfu
I couldn’t find a docker image with this software already loaded on it but it’s not too difficult to build an image from a full base image like Ubuntu.

I like the docker approach because it places you in a strictly Linux environment that runs on windows or macOS or Linux with only requirement that you install docker for your platform.

Try vm ware

1. What is PLUTO?

PLUTO is an open-source software package used for performing computational fluid dynamics simulations.

2. Is PLUTO compatible with Windows?

Yes, PLUTO is compatible with Windows operating systems, including Windows 10, 8, and 7.

3. How do I install PLUTO on Windows?

To install PLUTO on Windows, you will need to download the latest version of the software from the official website. Once downloaded, you can follow the installation instructions provided by the developers.

4. Are there any system requirements for installing PLUTO on Windows?

Yes, your computer must meet certain requirements in order to run PLUTO on Windows. These include a minimum of 4GB of RAM and a modern processor. It is also recommended to have a dedicated graphics card for better performance.

5. Is there any cost for installing PLUTO on Windows?

No, PLUTO is completely free to download and use on Windows. It is an open-source software, meaning it is available to the public at no cost.