Instantaneous current in stator of 3 phase IM

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the instantaneous value of current in induction motors and the difference between using sin and cos in this equation. The speakers also mention how the reference phase affects the use of sin and cos and recommend further reading on the topic. It is explained that both sin and cos can be used, but the other equations will change accordingly. The importance of sine waves in analyzing AC circuits is also mentioned.
rishi kesh
Member repeatedly advised to use the Formatting Template for all homework help requests.
I am studying induction motors and i have equation for instantaneous value of current flowing in each phases.(please check to image below).I can see that its it the form Im.cosωt
But isn't it supposed to be Im.sinωt ?because that's how we find all instantaneous parameters like voltage and power.we have homework regarding the same. Please explain it carefully considering I am first year engineering student.

Attachments

• 1515334139437-35210317.jpg
    1515334139437-35210317.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference between sin and cos is the reference phase (what we call angle zero). So if you are talking about the "form", sin and cos are the same thing.

anorlunda said:
The only difference between sin and cos is the reference phase (what we call angle zero). So if you are talking about the "form", sin and cos are the same thing.
Please explain this to me in more detail if possible.sorry for inconvinience.

rishi kesh said:
I can see that its it the form Im.cosωt
But isn't it supposed to be Im.sinωt ?because that's how we find all instantaneous parameters like voltage and power.
As anorlunda said, they are just shifted by 90 degrees. It doesn't make any difference if you use cos instead of sine. All the other equations will change accordingly.
For example, if the current through an inductor is Imsin(ωt), the voltage across the inductor will be Ldi/dt=ωLImcos(ωt). Here the current is lagging the voltage by 90° (which is expected.)
If the current were Imcos(ωt), the voltage across the inductor would be -ωLImsin(ωt). The current still lags the voltage by 90° .

Work out some examples on your own and you'd realize the importance of sine wave in ac electricity. The derivatives and integrals of a sine wave are also sine waves with a phase-shift (cos is sine with 90 degrees phase shift). This important property simplifies the math required to analyse ac circuits. (Although it "simplifies" the math, it's called "complex" analysis:wink:).

Last edited:
Likes rishi kesh

What is instantaneous current in the stator of a 3 phase IM?

Instantaneous current refers to the electrical current that flows through the stator of a 3 phase induction motor at a specific moment in time. It is often measured in amps and can vary depending on the position of the rotor and the electrical load on the motor.

How is instantaneous current calculated in a 3 phase IM?

To calculate the instantaneous current in a 3 phase induction motor, you will need to know the voltage and resistance values of the stator windings. Using Ohm's law (I = V/R), you can determine the current at a specific point in time. It is important to note that this calculation will only give you the instantaneous current and not the average current over a period of time.

Why is it important to measure instantaneous current in a 3 phase IM?

Measuring instantaneous current can provide valuable information about the performance and health of a 3 phase induction motor. It can help identify any imbalances in the electrical system or any potential issues with the motor, such as overloading or underloading.

What factors can affect the instantaneous current in a 3 phase IM?

Several factors can affect the instantaneous current in a 3 phase induction motor, including the electrical load on the motor, the speed of the rotor, and the electrical properties of the stator windings. Any changes in these factors can cause fluctuations in the instantaneous current.

How can the instantaneous current in a 3 phase IM be controlled?

The instantaneous current in a 3 phase induction motor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and frequency of the power supply. This can be done using a variable frequency drive (VFD) or other motor control techniques. Proper control of the instantaneous current can help improve the efficiency and performance of the motor.