Instrumentation amplifier: why subtractor block?

In summary: This is a circuit that amplifies an input current, as opposed to voltage.Current amplifiers are used in a variety of applications, including analog-to-digital converters, voltage-to-current converters, and current-to-voltage converters.
kirikinny
Hi, I'm looking at a circuit of a classical instrumental amplifier having 3 opamps, 2 for buffer, with Rg to adjust the gain. The output from this buffer + gain circuit is then feed into a third opamp, in a circuit that is the 'basic' differential amplifier, but whose function now that Rg is included in the buffer circuit, is only to match the resistances to have no common mode gain.

(this is the circuit I'm referring to: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Op-Amp_Instrumentation_Amplifier.svg)

My question is: why do we need the opamp on the right? If we take the output directly from the buffer circuit (we take voltage difference between the 2 outputs of the 2 opamps on the left), we obtain the same gain, and no common mode gain even if there is a resistors mismatch, right? because: Vout = (V2-V1) (1 + Ra/Rg + Rb/Rg), being Rg the gain controlling resistance and Ra Rb the other 2 resistors in the buffer circuit.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found this explanation for 3 Op Amp Instrumentation Amplifiers.

The differential amplifier part is often essential when measuring sensors. Why? A sensor produces a signal between its terminals. However, for some applications, neither terminal may be connected to the same ground potential as your measuring circuit. The terminals may be biased at a high potential or riding on a noise voltage. The differential amplifier rescues the signal by directly measuring the difference between the sensor’s terminals.

I'm not following the question. Are you asking why go through the right opamp which provides a single output referenced to ground as opposed to just looking at the TWO outputs from the buffers? If so, let's say we are reading the value with an A/D and the value is not stable or we are reading very near the Nyquist limit, using the third opamp allows a single A/D to determine the value, where without it you would have to take two readings and subtract in software; but that would only be true assuming the signal stayed the same during the two measurements.

Ok, I see, I thought that, if you just need to measure the output, you connect the ground of the picoscope to one of the two ouputs and then measure the other one. But I guess if you want to insert the circuit inside a bigger circuit you could not do that

kirikinny said:
...why do we need the opamp on the right?
Besides input biasing and noise, by adding an op-amp to the differential amplifier's output, you can make a current amplifier.

440_circuit_1.jpg

What is an instrumentation amplifier?

An instrumentation amplifier is a type of electronic amplifier that is used to amplify small differential signals. It is commonly used in measurement and sensor applications to amplify signals from sensors such as strain gauges, thermocouples, and pressure transducers.

How does an instrumentation amplifier work?

An instrumentation amplifier works by amplifying the difference between two input signals, while rejecting any common-mode noise that may be present. It consists of multiple operational amplifiers and precision resistors arranged in a specific configuration.

What is the purpose of the subtractor block in an instrumentation amplifier?

The subtractor block in an instrumentation amplifier is used to remove any common-mode signals from the input signals before they are amplified. This helps to improve the accuracy and precision of the amplifier by eliminating any noise or interference that may be present in the input signals.

Can I build my own instrumentation amplifier?

Yes, it is possible to build your own instrumentation amplifier using discrete components such as operational amplifiers and precision resistors. However, it is recommended to use a pre-made instrumentation amplifier chip for better accuracy and performance.

What are the advantages of using an instrumentation amplifier over a standard operational amplifier?

There are several advantages of using an instrumentation amplifier over a standard operational amplifier:

• High common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR): Instrumentation amplifiers have a higher CMRR, which means they are better at rejecting common-mode signals.
  • Higher input impedance: Instrumentation amplifiers have a higher input impedance, which makes them more suitable for use with high-impedance sensors.
  • Adjustable gain: Many instrumentation amplifiers have adjustable gain, allowing for more flexibility in different measurement applications.
  • Low noise: Instrumentation amplifiers typically have lower noise levels compared to standard operational amplifiers, making them more suitable for precise measurement applications.
  • Better accuracy and precision: Due to their design and function, instrumentation amplifiers offer better accuracy and precision compared to standard operational amplifiers.