Integral bases and Discriminants

In summary, the conversation discusses using equations to show that both determinants of the base change matrices are equal to ±1. It is concluded that the statement can be proven by combining the equations.
Firepanda
dz86e.jpg

Here is my solution, I think I have part i) done OK, but I'm not sure about how to proceed with part ii).

I suppose I need to show that both determinants of the base change matrices Cij and Dij are = ±1?Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You pretty much have it... Just combine both your equations into
[tex] \Delta(\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n) = (\det D_{ij})^2 (\det C_{ij})^2 \Delta(\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n). [/tex]
What can you conclude from this?

morphism said:
You pretty much have it... Just combine both your equations into
[tex] \Delta(\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n) = (\det D_{ij})^2 (\det C_{ij})^2 \Delta(\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n). [/tex]
What can you conclude from this?

that [itex](\det D_{ij})^2 (\det C_{ij})^2 = 1 [/itex]?

so the determinants are either ±1, so we can conclude the statement?

Yes, because one discriminant is (det)^2 times the other!

Related to Integral bases and Discriminants

1. What is an integral basis?

An integral basis is a set of algebraic integers which form a basis for the number field they belong to. It is a way of expressing all integers in the field as a linear combination of these basis elements.

2. How is an integral basis related to a ring of integers?

An integral basis can be thought of as a set of generators for the ring of integers in a number field. The ring of integers is a subring of the number field, and an integral basis allows us to express any element in the ring of integers as a linear combination of these basis elements.

3. What is the discriminant of a number field?

The discriminant of a number field is a measure of its "non-integrality". It is a number that can be calculated from the coefficients of the minimal polynomial of the basis elements of the field, and it gives information about the structure of the field and its ring of integers.

4. How is the discriminant related to an integral basis?

The discriminant can be calculated using the coefficients of the minimal polynomial of the integral basis elements. It is a way of quantifying the "non-integrality" of the basis elements and provides information about the ring of integers in the number field.

5. What is the significance of the discriminant in algebraic number theory?

The discriminant plays a crucial role in many areas of algebraic number theory. It is used to determine the ramification behavior of primes in a number field, and it also plays a role in the study of ideal class groups and unit groups. In general, the discriminant provides important information about the structure and properties of a number field.