Integral Equation (or I think so) Calculus I problem

In summary, the author found a continuous function that satisfies the differential equation and found that the constant term is 1+ln(x)-1.
SqueeSpleen

Homework Statement

Find a continuous funciton ##f## such that

$$
f(x) = 1+ \dfrac{1}{x} \int_{1}^{x} f(t)dt
$$
I think I solved it but I would like to see if it's right.
Well, first of all, by the fundamental theorem of calculus I know that
$$
\left( \int_{1}^{x} f(t)dt \right) ' = f(x)
$$

What I did was differentiate the original equation, to get a differential equation
$$
f'(x) = \left( -\dfrac{1}{x^{2}} \right) \int_{1}^{x} f(t)dt + \dfrac{1}{x} \left( f(x) \right)
$$
$$
f'(x) = -\dfrac{1}{x} \left( \dfrac{1}{x} \int_{1}^{x} f(t)dt \right) + \dfrac{1}{x} \left( f(x) \right)
$$

Well, by our first equation we have
$$
\dfrac{1}{x} \int_{1}^{x} f(t)dt = f(x)-1
$$
So using that we have
$$
f'(x) = -\dfrac{1}{x} \left( f(x)-1 \right) + \dfrac{1}{x} \left( f(x) \right)
$$
$$
f'(x) = -\dfrac{1}{x} f(x)+\dfrac{1}{x} + \dfrac{1}{x} \left( f(x) \right) = \dfrac{1}{x}
$$
So ##f'(x)=1/x##. Before I started this thread, I verified it a good amount of times and I always reached ##f'(x)=1##, so I guess I found at least one mistake in what I was doing. Wrote it to a forum really helps me to put my ideas together.
We integrate and we have
$$
f(x) = ln(x)+c
$$
Now when this is true.
$$
= 1 + \dfrac{1}{x} \left (xln(x)-x+c \right)
= 1 + ln(x)-1+c
=1+ln(x)-1+\frac{c}{x}
$$
So ##c=0##. Other way to check this is to notice that ##f(1)=1##, so ##c=0## because the integral is zero when ##x=1##.

Is this right? Another thing, I had problems with the TeX in the forum, half of it doesn't want to compile and I really don't know why. I don't know how to use the old [tex] [\tex], only how to use double dollar symbol to make an entire row of latex.

<Moderator's note: technical edit on LaTeX code. fresh_42. Please correct eventual mistakes.>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One mistake I found is that for ## f(x)=ln(x)+c ## , ## c=1 ## (not zero). (Your Latex is hard to read. I think you missed a Latex parameter somewhere.) ## \\ ## (And I checked this solution by integrating the right side. It checked.)

Likes SqueeSpleen
Sorry, initially it didn't even compile and after trying for a while and being unable to find what was wrong I posted it anyway. Moderator corrected the mistakes but I still don't know which they were. Yes, it has a lot of sense because ##ln(1)=0##, so ##c## must be ##1##, but I don't know where I commited the mistake that made ##c=0##. I'll re-read this.

SqueeSpleen said:
Sorry, initially it didn't even compile and after trying for a while and being unable to find what was wrong I posted it anyway. Moderator corrected the mistakes but I still don't know which they were. Yes, it has a lot of sense because ##ln(1)=0##, so ##c## must be ##1##, but I don't know where I commited the mistake that made ##c=0##. I'll re-read this.
## f(1)=1 ## so that ## ln(1)+c=1 ##. But ## ln(1)=0 ## so that ## c=1 ##.

Yes but I'm having the following problem. I arrived to:
$$
f(x) = ln(x)+\frac{c}{x}
$$
Which implies that ##c=0##, which is not true (for the thingsd you're saying). But... I'm not really sure where did I make the mistake.
Edit: Found the mistake, I have to integrate c too, I put it outside the integral as it was the case of an indefinite integral.

SqueeSpleen said:
Yes but I'm having the following problem. I arrived to:
$$
f(x) = ln(x)+\frac{c}{x}
$$
Which implies that ##c=0##, which is not true (for the thingsd you're saying). But... I'm not really sure where did I make the mistake.
That equation that you just edited needs a ## cx## instead of ## c ## which simply makes both sides equal.

Likes SqueeSpleen
$$
= 1 + \dfrac{1}{x} \left (xln(x)-x+cx \right)
= 1 + ln(x)-1+c
=1+ln(x)-1+c
$$
Well, this achieves nothing but verification, so this equation was redudant (but at least it's not contradictory as it was with the mistake).
Now, ##c=1## because the of what you said, that's caused because the integral nullifies when ##x=1## as it's an integarl over a point which is always zero (at least when it's a riemann integral as is the case and always is in Calculus I).

Edit: Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Multiply the initial equation through by [itex]x[/itex] to obtain
[tex]xf(x)=x+\int_{1}^{x}f(t)dt[/tex]

Then simply differentiate using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the product rule to obtain:

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

SqueeSpleen said:
$$
= 1 + \dfrac{1}{x} \left (xln(x)-x+cx \right)
= 1 + ln(x)-1+c
=1+ln(x)-1+c
$$
Well, this achieves nothing but verification, so this equation was redudant (but at least it's not contradictory as it was with the mistake).
Now, ##c=1## because the of what you said, that's caused because the integral nullifies when ##x=1## as it's an integarl over a point which is always zero (at least when it's a riemann integral as is the case and always is in Calculus I).

Edit: Thank you very much!

It would have been much faster and much more straightforward to look at ##F(x) = \int_1^x f(t)\, dt##, and note that it satisfies the DE
$$\frac{dF(x)}{dx} = 1 + \frac{1}{x} F(x), \; \; F(1) = 0.$$
The solution is easily obtained as ##F(x) = x \ln x##, and from that you get ##f(x)## as ##f(x) = F^{\prime}(x)##.

Note: please do not write ##ln(x)## or ##ln x##; it looks ugly. The correct LaTeX form is ##\ln(x)## or ##\ln x##, which is obtained by writing "\ln" instead of "ln". The same applies to other familiar functions like log, sin, cos, tan arcsin, arccos, arctan, sinh, cosh, tanh, lim, sup, inf, max, min, exp, gcd, etc. TeX/LaTeX is designed to work properly when these are preceded by a "\".

Last edited:
Yeah, but I was trying to let this elementary. As they hadn't studied DE formally in this course, I didn't want to mention that's a DE.
But in the end what I'm doing is variation of parameters...
But yeah, your solution and huntman's one are way more straightforward, and even if I wanted to keep it elementary I could have done as you say without neccesarily introducting the concept of differential equation.

Thanks for the answers, if someone ask me again about those problems I will use your solutions as they're way easier to follow than my mess.

1. What is an integral equation in calculus?

An integral equation in calculus is an equation that involves an unknown function as well as an integral of that function. It is a mathematical tool used to solve various problems involving continuous quantities or functions.

2. How is an integral equation different from a differential equation?

An integral equation involves an integral of an unknown function, while a differential equation involves the derivatives of an unknown function. In other words, a differential equation represents the rate of change of a function, while an integral equation represents the accumulation of a function.

3. What is the purpose of solving integral equations in calculus?

The main purpose of solving integral equations in calculus is to find the unknown function that satisfies the given equation. This can then be used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the area under a curve or determining the behavior of a physical system.

4. What are some common techniques for solving integral equations?

Some common techniques for solving integral equations include the method of successive approximations, the separation of variables method, and the use of Green's functions. These techniques involve manipulating the integral equation in various ways to solve for the unknown function.

5. How is integral equation calculus used in real-world applications?

Integral equation calculus has various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving continuous quantities, such as heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and optimization problems. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.