Integral from distribution function

In summary: It also appears that the problem is to evaluate the integral \int dz \int dp {zp f(z,p,t)}. Is that right? If so, you will have to do it in steps: First, integrate over z, keeping p as a parameter; then integrate over p. The result of the first integration, which will be a function of p, will then be used in the second integration. This is what is known as a "double integral," and it will be a lot of work. There are other ways of doing it, but all of them are based on using the fact that the integrand in your double integral is separable, as they say. (I.e
_Matt87_

Homework Statement

hi, so I've got this distribution function:
[tex]f(z,p,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi\partial z\partial p}exp(-\frac{[z-v(p)t]^2}{2\partial z^2})exp(-\frac{[p-p_0]^2}{2\partial p^2})[/tex]

where:
[tex]v(p)=v_0+\alpha(p-p_0)[/tex]
[tex]v_0=\frac{p_0}{m\gamma_0}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha=\frac{1}{m\gamma_0^3}[/tex]

I have to calculate the mean position as a function of time[tex]\langle z \rangle[/tex]

Homework Equations

I've got a hint too which doesn't help me at all to be honest ;] :
All the integrals over z required to calculate the averages can be expressed in therms of [tex]I_\nu =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\,ds \ s^\nu exp(-s^2)[/tex] with [itex]I_0=\sqrt{\pi}, I_1=0,\ and \ I_2=\sqrt{\pi}/2[/itex], by substitution and a suitable choice of the order of integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

Presented function is I think distribution of particles in a beam in longitudinal phase space, and in that case
[itex]\int \,d^3p\ f(z,p,t)=n(z,t)[/itex] which is the particle density and [itex] \int \,d^3z\ n(r,t)=N[/itex] which is particles number.
So I think that mean position should look like this:
[tex] \langle z \rangle=\frac{\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p \ z\ f(z,p,t)}{N}[/tex]
so
[tex] \langle z \rangle=\frac{\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p \ z \ f(z,p,t)}{\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p\ f(z,p,t)}[/tex]
am I right? if yes, how to start solving this kind of integral. I mean something like even this :
[tex] \int\,d^3z\frac{1}{2\pi\partial z\partial p} ...[/tex] those partials go before the integral .. or what?

btw. I attached two files with the actual assignment, and a slide from lecture that is supposed to tell me everything ;)

Attachments

• from homework.png
    from homework.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 468
  • from lecture.png
    from lecture.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
##\delta## doesn't mean ##\partial##. ##\delta z## and ##\delta p## are just constants.

oh... right :) thanks.

what about 'the hint'? ;]

_Matt87_ said:

Homework Statement

hi, so I've got this distribution function:
[tex]f(z,p,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi\partial z\partial p}exp(-\frac{[z-v(p)t]^2}{2\partial z^2})exp(-\frac{[p-p_0]^2}{2\partial p^2})[/tex]

where:
[tex]v(p)=v_0+\alpha(p-p_0)[/tex]
[tex]v_0=\frac{p_0}{m\gamma_0}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha=\frac{1}{m\gamma_0^3}[/tex]

I have to calculate the mean position as a function of time[tex]\langle z \rangle[/tex]

Homework Equations

I've got a hint too which doesn't help me at all to be honest ;] :
All the integrals over z required to calculate the averages can be expressed in therms of [tex]I_\nu =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\,ds \ s^\nu exp(-s^2)[/tex] with [itex]I_0=\sqrt{\pi}, I_1=0,\ and \ I_2=\sqrt{\pi}/2[/itex], by substitution and a suitable choice of the order of integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

Presented function is I think distribution of particles in a beam in longitudinal phase space, and in that case
[itex]\int \,d^3p\ f(z,p,t)=n(z,t)[/itex] which is the particle density and [itex] \int \,d^3z\ n(r,t)=N[/itex] which is particles number.
So I think that mean position should look like this:
[tex] \langle z \rangle=\frac{\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p \ z\ f(z,p,t)}{N}[/tex]
so
[tex] \langle z \rangle=\frac{\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p \ z \ f(z,p,t)}{\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p\ f(z,p,t)}[/tex]
am I right? if yes, how to start solving this kind of integral. I mean something like even this :
[tex] \int\,d^3z\frac{1}{2\pi\partial z\partial p} ...[/tex] those partials go before the integral .. or what?

btw. I attached two files with the actual assignment, and a slide from lecture that is supposed to tell me everything ;)

Besides what Vela has pointed out to you, there is also the important issue of whether ##\delta z^2## means ##\delta(z^2)## (an "error" parameter for ##z^2##) or whether it means ##(\delta z)^2## (the square of the "error" parameter for ##z##). Using simpler symbols like ##a## and ##b## instead of ##\delta z## and ##\delta p## would be a very great help, both to you and to us. (As as genera rule, choosing simpler notation helps when dealing with lengthy and complicated calculations; often, it is a good idea to replace the problem's notation by your own before starting on the problem. Then, in the final answer you can put back the original notation. Years of experience has taught me the value of doing that!)

I'm not quite sure what is the [itex]\delta z[/itex] or [itex]\delta p[/itex]. It doesn't say, although I think that you guys are right that if [itex] f(z,p,t)[/itex] represents a distribution of particles in a beam then [itex]\delta z[/itex] and [itex]\delta p[/itex] could be the errors. Let suppose that it's acutally [itex](\delta z)^2[/itex] and [itex] (\delta p)^2[/itex] and that they're [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]

I'm still not sure that for example in this integral [tex]\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p\ f(z,p,t)[/tex]
we've got [itex]\,d^3z [/itex] and [itex]\,d^3p[/itex] and if I assume that the beam goes in one direction (z) then can the integral be actually written like this? [tex]\int\,dz\int\,dp\ f(z,p,t)[/tex]

if yes then is that right? :

[tex]\int\,dz\int\,dp\ exp(\frac{-z^2+2zV(p)t-V(p)^2t^2}{2A})exp(\frac{-p^2+2pp_0-(p_0)^2}{2B})=\\ exp(-\frac{(p_0)^2}{2B})\int\,dz\int\,dp \exp(-\frac{z^2}{2A})exp(\frac{zV(p)t}{A})exp(-\frac{V(p)^2t^2}{2A})exp(-\frac{p^2}{2B})exp(\frac{pp_0}{B})[/tex]

what about this second exp? it depends on both z and p? (others I can integrate over either z or p)

_Matt87_ said:
I'm not quite sure what is the [itex]\delta z[/itex] or [itex]\delta p[/itex]. It doesn't say, although I think that you guys are right that if [itex] f(z,p,t)[/itex] represents a distribution of particles in a beam then [itex]\delta z[/itex] and [itex]\delta p[/itex] could be the errors. Let suppose that it's acutally [itex](\delta z)^2[/itex] and [itex] (\delta p)^2[/itex] and that they're [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]

I'm still not sure that for example in this integral [tex]\int\,d^3z\int\,d^3p\ f(z,p,t)[/tex]
we've got [itex]\,d^3z [/itex] and [itex]\,d^3p[/itex] and if I assume that the beam goes in one direction (z) then can the integral be actually written like this? [tex]\int\,dz\int\,dp\ f(z,p,t)[/tex]

if yes then is that right? :

[tex]\int\,dz\int\,dp\ exp(\frac{-z^2+2zV(p)t-V(p)^2t^2}{2A})exp(\frac{-p^2+2pp_0-(p_0)^2}{2B})=\\ exp(-\frac{(p_0)^2}{2B})\int\,dz\int\,dp \exp(-\frac{z^2}{2A})exp(\frac{zV(p)t}{A})exp(-\frac{V(p)^2t^2}{2A})exp(-\frac{p^2}{2B})exp(\frac{pp_0}{B})[/tex]

what about this second exp? it depends on both z and p? (others I can integrate over either z or p)

I suspect that p and z are one-dimensional, not 3-D (because you speak of a beam). If they were 3-dimensional your problem would be an uncomputable mess, because (at least for z) you would need geometric boundaries perpendicular to the beam's axis, etc.

To make further progress you need to actually use the given form of v(p), in order to reduce everything to a couple of computable gaussian-type integrations. If you start by first doing the p-integration, you need to combine all the terms having p in them, whether they come from the first factor or the second one. In other words, your p-integration may also contain z as a "parameter", and that can modify the form of the later z-integration (assuming you integrate first over p and then over z).

Last edited:

Related to Integral from distribution function

What is an integral from a distribution function?

An integral from a distribution function is a mathematical operation used to calculate the area under a probability distribution curve. It represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values.

What is the purpose of calculating an integral from a distribution function?

The purpose of calculating an integral from a distribution function is to determine the likelihood of a particular outcome or event occurring within a given range of values. This is important in statistics and probability theory, as it allows us to make predictions and analyze data.

How is an integral from a distribution function calculated?

An integral from a distribution function is typically calculated using calculus techniques, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration by parts. It involves finding the anti-derivative of the distribution function and evaluating it at the upper and lower bounds of the desired range.

What types of distributions can an integral be taken from?

An integral from a distribution function can be taken from a variety of distributions, such as normal, exponential, binomial, and Poisson distributions. The specific distribution used will depend on the nature of the data and the question being asked.

What is the relationship between an integral from a distribution function and the cumulative distribution function?

The integral from a distribution function represents the area under the probability density curve, while the cumulative distribution function represents the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value. The two are related, as the integral from a distribution function is the derivative of the cumulative distribution function.