Integral Homework: Solving $\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\log (x+1)}{x(x+1)} dx$

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Taking the reciprocal helps this.Another idea would have been to split the domain and use different seriesfor each but I wanted to avoid that.I had expanding log(1-x) in mind, though using log(x) like Ray Vickson did worked also.dI=\frac{\log(x+1)}{x(x+1)}dx\\=-\frac{\log(\frac{1}{x+1})}{x(x+1)}dx\\=-\frac{\log(1+\frac{1}{x+1}-\frac{x+1}{x+1})}{x(x+1)}dx\\=-\frac
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\log (x+1)}{x(x+1)} dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to convert the log to a series, but that got be nowhere, since the resulting integral was divergent. Any hints on how to approach this?

Likes lurflurf
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

##\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\log (x+1)}{x(x+1)} dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to convert the log to a series, but that got be nowhere, since the resulting integral was divergent. Any hints on how to approach this?

The indefinite integral can be expressed in terms of the non-elementary function ##\text{dilog}(\cdot)##, defined as
$$\text{dilog}(w) = \int_1^w \frac{\ln t}{1-t} \, dt $$
Some progress stems from integration by parts, using
$$u = \log(x+1) \;\;\text{and} \;\; dv = \frac{dx}{x(x+1)} $$

Likes jim mcnamara and lurflurf
hint find for ##k+k^\ast>-2##
##\int_0^\infty \log(x+1)(x+1)^{-k-2} dx##
then use geometric series
$$I=\int_0^\infty \frac{log(x+1)}{x(x+1)}dx\\
=\int_0^\infty \frac{log(x+1)}{[(x+1)-1](x+1)}dx\\
=\int_0^\infty \frac{log(x+1)}{[1-1/(x+1)](x+1)^2}dx\\
=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \int_0^\infty \log(x+1)(x+1)^{-k-2} dx $$

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:
Your way is better than mine, but it helps to change variables.
let u=x/(x+1)
##
\int_0^\infty \frac{\log(x+1)}{x(x+1)}dx=\int_0^1 -\log(1-u)\frac{du}{u}
##
now expand in series.
I guess the two ways are similar, my way has an easy integral that looks hard and an easy series expansion that looks easy, your way has an easy integral that looks easy and an easy series expansion that looks hard. That was a fun integral.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Ray Vickson said:
The indefinite integral can be expressed in terms of the non-elementary function ##\text{dilog}(\cdot)##, defined as
$$\text{dilog}(w) = \int_1^w \frac{\ln t}{1-t} \, dt $$
Some progress stems from integration by parts, using
$$u = \log(x+1) \;\;\text{and} \;\; dv = \frac{dx}{x(x+1)} $$
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylogarithm
That is nice. The change of variable t=1/(x+1) puts the given integral in the desired form. If we know in your notation (notation varies) ##\mathrm{dilog}(0)## we are done, otherwise we can use dilog identities or expand the logarithm in series as suggested. I was confused about the integration by parts at first I tried something similar and got stuck. Now I see the change of variable and integration by parts are equivalent. That is pretty weird.

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylogarithm
That is nice. The change of variable t=1/(x+1) puts the given integral in the desired form. If we know in your notation (notation varies) ##\mathrm{dilog}(0)## we are done, otherwise we can use dilog identities or expand the logarithm in series as suggested. I was confused about the integration by parts at first I tried something similar and got stuck. Now I see the change of variable and integration by parts are equivalent. That is pretty weird.

There is a wealth of material about the dilog (and other polylog functions), including values at some special arguments and the like. That allows the proposed definite integral to be performed in terms of known functions and their values, but whether the OP would be permitted to just go ahead and use those tabulated results is, or course, another matter entirely.

lurflurf said:
Your way is better than mine, but it helps to change variables.
let u=x/(x+1)
##
\int_0^\infty \frac{\log(x+1)}{x(x+1)}dx=\int_0^1 -\log(1-u)\frac{du}{u}
##
now expand in series.
I guess the two ways are similar, my way has an easy integral that looks hard and an easy series expansion that looks easy, your way has an easy integral that looks easy and an easy series expansion that looks hard. That was a fun integral.
This way allowed me to solve it. Where did you come up with the substitution ##\displaystyle u=\frac{x}{x+1}## though?

^As you point out we need to do something about the convergence.
Taking the reciprocal helps this.
Another idea would have been to split the domain and use different series
for each but I wanted to avoid that.
I had expanding log(1-x) in mind, though using log(x) like Ray Vickson did worked also.
##dI=\frac{\log(x+1)}{x(x+1)}dx\\
=-\frac{\log(\frac{1}{x+1})}{x(x+1)}dx\\
=-\frac{\log(1+\frac{1}{x+1}-\frac{x+1}{x+1})}{x(x+1)}dx\\
=-\frac{\log(1-\frac{x}{x+1})}{\frac{x}{x+1}(x+1)^2}(x+1)^2d\left(\frac{x}{x+1}\right)##

You could also use the substitution ##x = e^u-1## and then expand the integrand in powers of ##e^{-u}##.

1. What is the purpose of solving an integral for this specific function?

The purpose of solving this integral is to find the area under the curve of the function $\frac{\log (x+1)}{x(x+1)}$ between the limits of 0 and infinity. This can be useful in various applications such as calculating probabilities and volumes in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you approach solving this type of integral?

To solve this integral, we can use the technique of partial fractions to break down the integrand into simpler fractions. Then, we can use substitution to simplify the integral further and make it easier to solve. Finally, we can use integration by parts to find the final solution.

3. Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using the method of contour integration, which involves using complex numbers and contour integration techniques to find the solution.

4. Is there a specific approach or strategy to follow when solving integrals?

Yes, there are various approaches and strategies that can be used when solving integrals. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to choose the most suitable method based on the form of the integrand.

5. Are there any tips or tricks to keep in mind when solving this type of integral?

One helpful tip is to always check the form of the integrand and see if it can be simplified or manipulated in any way before attempting to solve it. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are correctly incorporated into the solution. Lastly, practicing and familiarizing yourself with different techniques and strategies can make solving integrals easier and more efficient.