Integral - Length of cardioid arc question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the length of the cardioid r(θ)=1+cosθ in polar coordinates. The integral for this calculation is \int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2}d\theta. However, when trying to solve it, there are some oversights and mistakes made with the trigonometric functions, leading to incorrect answers. The conversation also mentions using limits and breaking the integral into two parts to account for restrictions and absolute values.
karkas

Homework Statement

Hey all, I'm trying to calculate the length of the cardioid r(θ)=1+cosθ (polar coordinates) and I figured I'd try to do it in one integral from 0 to 2Pi.

Homework Equations

So the integral is [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2}d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

and it becomes [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta[/tex] which becomes I've found
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{sin\theta}{\sqrt{1-cos\theta}} d\theta = 2\sqrt{1-cos\theta} |_{0}^{2\pi}[/tex]

but that gives me 0 , although I run it through mathematica and it gives me [tex]4sqrt{2}[/tex]. Why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2}d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{(1+cos\theta)^2 + sin^2\theta} d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{2+2cos\theta}d\theta[/tex]

Edit: Although this oversight is not enough to fix the problem. The integral is clearly always positive thus it can't be zero. You can note that the integral between 0 and 2pi is symmetric around pi and thus integrate [itex]2\int_0^{\pi} \sqrt{2+2cos\theta}d\theta[/itex]. Something generally goes wrong when you try to do these integrals of trig functions between k and k+2pi, although I'm not sure exactly why that is; maybe somebody else more knowledgeable can help explain why.

Last edited:
Poopsilon said:
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2}d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{(1+cos\theta)^2 + sin^2\theta} d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{2+2cos\theta}d\theta[/tex]

Edit: Although this oversight is not enough to fix the problem. The integral is clearly always positive thus it can't be zero. You can note that the integral between 0 and 2pi is symmetric around pi and thus integrate [itex]2\int_0^{\pi} \sqrt{2+2cos\theta}d\theta[/itex]. Something generally goes wrong when you try to do these integrals of trig functions between k and k+2pi, although I'm not sure exactly why that is; maybe somebody else more knowledgeable can help explain why.

Thanks for answering,
yep I left the sqrt2 factor out because the real problem is the [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta [/tex]. I know, and by taking limits as 0 and pi/2 I can find a non-zero answer, but does mathematica do the same thing or am I missing something?

karkas said:
Thanks for answering,
yep I left the sqrt2 factor out because the real problem is the [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta [/tex]. I know, and by taking limits as 0 and pi/2 I can find a non-zero answer, but does mathematica do the same thing or am I missing something?

[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{|sin\theta|}{\sqrt{1-cos\theta}} d\theta[/tex]

You took a square root of [itex]sin^2\theta[/itex] and left out the absolute value. That's what's going wrong.

Ah I tend to ignore these restrictions because I've been heavily working with indefinite integrals. So I break the integral into two others depending on where sin(theta) is positive or not and add them?

karkas said:
Ah I tend to ignore these restrictions because I've been heavily working with indefinite integrals. So I break the integral into two others depending on where sin(theta) is positive or not and add them?

Sure.

Dick said:
Sure.

Ok thanks, rock on!

Related to Integral - Length of cardioid arc question

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a cardioid arc?

The formula for finding the length of a cardioid arc is L = 8a, where L is the length of the arc and a is the radius of the cardioid.

2. How is the formula derived?

The formula for finding the length of a cardioid arc is derived using integral calculus. The curve of a cardioid can be represented by the equation r = a(1 + cosθ), where r is the distance from the origin, a is the radius of the cardioid, and θ is the angle. By using the arc length formula for polar coordinates, the integral of the curve can be evaluated to obtain the formula L = 8a.

3. What are the units for the length of a cardioid arc?

The units for the length of a cardioid arc depend on the units used for the radius a. For example, if a is measured in meters, then the length of the arc will be in meters as well.

4. Can the formula be used for other types of curves?

No, the formula for finding the length of a cardioid arc only applies to cardioid curves. Other types of curves will have different formulas for finding the length of their arcs.

5. How accurate is the formula for finding the length of a cardioid arc?

The formula for finding the length of a cardioid arc is an exact formula and will give the precise length of the arc. However, when using the formula to calculate the length of a real-life cardioid, there may be some slight variations due to measurement errors and the fact that a true cardioid curve is an ideal mathematical concept.