Integral of a triangular pyramid

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a pyramid with a height of 24 and an equilateral triangle base with a side length of 11. The conversation mentions the use of an identity to find the area of the triangle and using integrals to solve the problem. However, after attempting to solve the integral, the person is unable to find a solution and is looking for an alternative method.
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a pyramid with height 24 and with base an equilateral triangle with side 11.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the relationship

h/x=b/l

where h is my height 24
x is simply x or height above base
b is my base 11
l is the length of the base at height x

i also know the integral is

024(A(x))dx

I am having trouble finding A(x)

I believe that it you would use the area of the equilateral triangle

so i know area of the triangle is base*height/2

I also know that base is l, and height is unknown, but i do know that

l^2=(l/2)^2 + z^2 where i take z as the height of the equilateral triangle

then z= √(l^2 -(l/2)^2 )

so area of the triangle would finall be

[(l^2)√(l^2 - (l/2)^2)]/2

I would finally plug in l=bx/h from the identity h/x=b/l

However, when i do this, i end up with an integral i am unable to solve. I feel like there is another way to do this, can anyone help?

edit: I mean an easier way using integrals, not volume of a pyramid please

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of a triangle is an equilateral triangle?

doctordiddy said:
[(l^2)√(l^2 - (l/2)^2)]/2
You've one too many l factors in there - it's an area, not a volume. You should be able to simplify the term inside the square root (bringing the l outside). Once you've done that the integral should be straightforward.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a triangular pyramid?

The formula for finding the volume of a triangular pyramid is V = (1/3) * base area * height, where the base area is the area of the triangle formed by the base of the pyramid and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the apex.

2. How do you calculate the base area of a triangular pyramid?

To calculate the base area of a triangular pyramid, you can use the formula A = (1/2) * base length * height, where the base length is the length of one side of the base triangle and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

3. Can the integral of a triangular pyramid be negative?

No, the integral (volume) of a triangular pyramid cannot be negative. It represents a physical quantity (volume) and therefore must be positive or zero.

4. What is the difference between a triangular pyramid and a triangular prism?

A triangular pyramid has a triangular base and its lateral faces are triangles that meet at a single point (apex). A triangular prism has two triangular bases and its lateral faces are rectangles that are perpendicular to the bases. Additionally, the integral (volume) of a triangular pyramid may be different from that of a triangular prism, even if they have the same base area and height.

5. Can the integral of a triangular pyramid be calculated using the cross-sectional area method?

Yes, the integral (volume) of a triangular pyramid can be calculated using the cross-sectional area method. This method involves dividing the pyramid into horizontal slices and calculating the area of each slice, then adding them up to find the total volume. However, this method may not be as efficient as using the formula V = (1/3) * base area * height.