Integral question about depreciation rate in percentage.

In summary, this problem asks for the rate at which a student forgets about what he studies. The rate in which a student forgets about what he studies is proportional to the difference of the percentage of what he remembers right now and the percentage of minimal retention of that student. Student A has a rate of minimal retention of 50%. A the end of a class, student A remembers 95% of his studies. One week later, he remembers 80% of his studies of that class. The exam is in 3 weeks after that class. If student A stops studying, what is the percentage of what he remembers? Plugging in the given data, we have: Q(3)=\frac{1}{20}\left(9\left
hobomath
This is my first time tackling this kind of problem.

The rate in which a student forgets about what he studies is proportional to the difference of the percentage of what he remembers right now and the percentage of minimal retention of that student. Student A has a rate of minimal retention of 50%. A the end of a class, student A remembers 95% of his studies. One week later, he remembers 80% of his studies of that class.

The exam is in 3 weeks after that class. If student A stops studying, what is the percentage of what he remembers?

1. Let $Q$ be the percentage of what he remembers.
2. Let $t$ be the time in weeks.
3. Initial condition 1: $Q=0.95 $ and $t=0$
5. Initial condition 2: $Q=0.80 $ and $t=1$

Now I'm stuck about finding the rate. From what I understand from the text:
$$ dQ-0.5 = kQ $$After that, I'm not sure what I have to do. I imagine I'd have to find the value of the constant $k$ by plugging the initial conditions 1 and/or 2. But I don't see where I should put the time (t) anywhere?

I am so confused with this problem... so any hints or help to solve is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is mathematically equivalent to Newton's Law of Cooling. The IVP we want is:

\(\displaystyle \d{Q}{t}=-k(Q-M)\) where $0<k$ and \(\displaystyle Q(0)=0.95,\,Q(1)=0.80\)

The ODE is separable...can you proceed?

Hello MarkFL, thank you for the reply and the lead. I'm looking into the Newton's law of Cooling right now... I'll reply back if I find anything.

hobomath said:
Hello MarkFL, thank you for the reply and the lead. I'm looking into the Newton's law of Cooling right now... I'll reply back if I find anything.

My comment about Newton's Law of Cooling was just meant as an observation, in case you are familiar with problems involving that law...I didn't mean for you to necessarily look it up. You have all the information you need to solve the problem as given.

You want to separate variables, and use the boundaries as the limits of integration, and then apply the FTOC. :)

To follow up, we can write:

\(\displaystyle \int_{Q_0}^{Q(t)}\frac{1}{u-M}\,du=-k\int_0^t\,dv\)

Applying the FTOC, there results:

\(\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{Q_0-M}{Q(t)-M}\right)=kt\)

Now, using this, we may determine $k$ given $Q_1=Q(1)$:

\(\displaystyle k=\ln\left(\frac{Q_0-M}{Q_1-M}\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{Q_0-M}{Q(t)-M}\right)=\ln\left(\left(\frac{Q_0-M}{Q_1-M}\right)^t\right)\)

Or:

\(\displaystyle \frac{Q_0-M}{Q(t)-M}=\left(\frac{Q_0-M}{Q_1-M}\right)^t\)

Solving for $Q(t)$, we find:

\(\displaystyle Q(t)=\left(Q_0-M\right)\left(\frac{Q_0-M}{Q_1-M}\right)^{-t}+M\)

Now we can answer the question:

The exam is in 3 weeks after that class. If student A stops studying, what is the percentage of what he remembers?

Plugging in the given data, we have:

\(\displaystyle Q(t)=\left(0.95-0.50\right)\left(\frac{0.95-0.50}{0.80-0.50}\right)^{-t}+0.50\)

\(\displaystyle Q(t)=0.45\left(\frac{0.45}{0.30}\right)^{-t}+0.50\)

\(\displaystyle Q(t)=\frac{1}{20}\left(9\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^{t}+10\right)\)

And so we finally find:

\(\displaystyle Q(3)=\frac{1}{20}\left(9\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^{3}+10\right)=\frac{1}{20}\left(\frac{8}{3}+10\right)=\frac{19}{30}=63\tfrac{1}{3}\%\)

Hey again, thanks you were a great help!Sorry for the lack of follow-up, but I'm glad I found the same answer as yours. It was truly helpful.

hobomath said:
Hey again, thanks you were a great help!Sorry for the lack of follow-up, but I'm glad I found the same answer as yours. It was truly helpful.

I am glad to be of help, and that you got the same answer I did (presuming we are correct of course). :)

I posted a follow-up just in case other people find this thread via a search engine, then the working and solution is available making MHB more useful and encouraging a return visit and perhaps even a new member posting their own questions.

1. What is depreciation rate in percentage?

The depreciation rate in percentage is the percentage by which an asset's value decreases over time due to wear and tear, obsolescence, or other factors. It is used to calculate the decrease in an asset's value for accounting and tax purposes.

2. How is the depreciation rate in percentage calculated?

The depreciation rate in percentage is calculated by dividing the cost of the asset by its expected useful life, and then multiplying it by 100. This will give you the annual depreciation rate in percentage.

3. What is the difference between straight-line and accelerated depreciation?

Straight-line depreciation is when the same percentage of an asset's cost is deducted each year over its useful life. Accelerated depreciation, on the other hand, frontloads the depreciation expense, resulting in larger deductions in the earlier years of an asset's life.

4. How does the depreciation rate in percentage affect a company's financial statements?

The depreciation rate in percentage affects a company's financial statements by reducing the value of its assets and increasing its expenses. This, in turn, decreases the company's net income and impacts its profitability.

5. What factors can impact the depreciation rate in percentage?

The depreciation rate in percentage can be impacted by various factors, such as the cost of the asset, its expected useful life, the method of depreciation used, and any salvage value. Economic conditions and changes in technology can also affect the depreciation rate in percentage.