Integral with different variables

In summary, the conversation discusses doing an integral with respect to r2 multiplied by an integral with respect to theta2 and phi2. The term under the square root confuses one person, who asks if it can be integrated with either the r2 or theta2 part constant. The other person suggests using a change of variable and references Fubini's Theorem for reversing the order of integration. The first person asks how to check if the function is continuous and the other person suggests trying integration by theta first. The order of integration does not matter for this exercise.
Viona
Homework Statement
Integral with different variables
Relevant Equations
Integral with variables
I want to do this integral in the picture:
Untitled.png

where r1 and a are constants. I know I can integrate each part separately. There will be an integral with respect to r2 multiplied by integral with respect to theta2 and the last one with respect to phi2. But the term under square root confuses me. Can I integrate it with r2 part considering theta2 constant or integate it with theta2 part considering r2 constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Change of variable ##t=\cos\theta## would make
[tex]\int_{-1}^1 \frac{dt}{\sqrt{A-Bt}}[/tex]
Does it make sense ?

• Love
Likes Viona
anuttarasammyak said:
Change of variable ##t=\cos\theta## would make
[tex]\int_{-1}^1 \frac{dt}{\sqrt{A-Bt}}[/tex]
Does it make sense ?
Yes. it seems good. But I want to ask: for this type of integral does the order matter? I should start by integrating w.r.t. r2 first or it is optional?

scottdave said:
Yes, see this for more clarification - https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/IteratedIntegrals.aspx

Check out the example problems (with solutions)
That was helpful. Thanks. I learned that this type of integrals are called iterated integrals. For this type of integral the order is important particularly when the integrand is not continuous on the domain of integration. Then I found a theorem called Fubini’s Theorem. I understood that we can reverse the order if the integrand is continuous on the domain of integration. Now I am wondering how to check if the function is continous or not?

Viona said:
But I want to ask: for this type of integral does the order matter? I should start by integrating w.r.t. r2 first or it is optional?
Why don' you try integration by ##\theta## at first. The order should not matter for this exercise at least.

Likes Viona

1. What is an integral with different variables?

An integral with different variables is a type of mathematical operation that involves finding the area under a curve in a multi-dimensional space. It is used to solve problems involving multiple variables, such as finding the volume of a 3D object or calculating the work done by a force in 2D or 3D space.

2. How is an integral with different variables different from a regular integral?

An integral with different variables is different from a regular integral because it involves integrating with respect to multiple variables, rather than just one. This means that the limits of integration and the integrand may contain more than one variable, making the calculations more complex.

3. What are some applications of integrals with different variables?

Integrals with different variables have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to calculate the volume and surface area of 3D objects, to find the center of mass of a system, and to determine the work done by a force in a multi-dimensional space.

4. How do you solve an integral with different variables?

To solve an integral with different variables, you first need to identify the variables involved and determine the limits of integration. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to evaluate the integral. It is important to carefully keep track of the variables and their limits throughout the calculation.

5. What is the importance of understanding integrals with different variables?

Understanding integrals with different variables is important for many reasons. It allows us to solve complex problems involving multiple variables, which is essential in many fields of science and engineering. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between different variables and their effects on a system.