Integral with natural log problem

In summary, the problem is finding the integral of (ln x)/(x + x ln x) dx. Despite being familiar with integration by parts, the approach is not clear. However, by using u-substitution with u = ln x, the solution can be obtained as 1 + ln x - ln ǀ1 + ln xǀ +C. Another helpful approach is to change variables by letting w=e^x or w=ln(x) or x=ln(w) or x=e^w.
luxxx
Hello,
The problem is ∫(ln x)/(x + x ln x) dx.

I've done most other problems in the set, but don't know where to start with this one. Although we are just learning integration by parts, I'm not sure how this would apply. I can get to ∫u/(1+u) du
Thanks for any help.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
luxxx said:
Hello,
The problem is ∫(ln x)/(x + x ln x) dx.

I've done most other problems in the set, but don't know where to start with this one. Although we are just learning integration by parts, I'm not sure how this would apply. I can get to ∫u/(1+u) du
Thanks for any help.

When you have multiple versions of the exp and log function, try changing variables by letting w=e^x or w=ln(x) or x=ln(w) or x=e^w. Try those and see what happens.

I think the answer is 1 + ln x - ln ǀ1 + ln xǀ +C, but that's using an integration table.. I'd like to know how you would get there.

Well I did u substitution for u = ln x.

That would work. And note:

[tex]\frac{u}{1+u}=1-\frac{1}{1+u}[/tex]

Ha, yeah I just got that when you responded. Thank you!

Related to Integral with natural log problem

1. What is the purpose of integrating with natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm function, ln(x), is often used in calculus to represent the inverse of exponential growth. Integrating with natural logarithm allows us to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, as well as other mathematical models that involve logarithmic functions.

2. How do you solve an integral with natural logarithm?

To solve an integral with natural logarithm, we use a technique called integration by parts. This involves breaking the integral into two parts, one with a logarithmic function and one with a polynomial function, and then using a specific formula to solve for the integral. The process can be repeated if necessary, until the integral is fully solved.

3. Are there any special rules for integrating with natural logarithm?

Yes, there are some special rules to keep in mind when integrating with natural logarithm. One important rule is that the natural logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the natural logarithms of each individual factor. This can be used when simplifying an integral with multiple terms. Another rule is that the natural logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the natural logarithms of the numerator and denominator.

4. Can an integral with natural logarithm have multiple solutions?

Yes, an integral with natural logarithm can have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are different ways to simplify the integral or when the problem involves multiple variables. It is important to check for any restrictions or limitations on the variables to ensure that all solutions are valid.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral with natural logarithm is correct?

The best way to check if your solution to an integral with natural logarithm is correct is to differentiate your answer and see if it matches the original function. Remember to use the chain rule when differentiating natural logarithmic functions. Additionally, you can also use online calculators or graphing software to plot both the original function and your solution and see if they overlap.