Need help checking a quick log integration problem

In summary, the problem is asking to find the integral of (6 dt)/(2t+1) from 0 to x. Two methods are provided, with the first method using substitution and the second method using the given equation for ln(x) when x>0. The book states that method 1 is correct, and upon further examination, it is found that method 2 is incorrect due to a misapplication of the ln(x) equation. The correct answer is 3 ln(2x+1).
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Find ##\int_0^x \frac{6\ dt}{2t+1}##."

Homework Equations

##\int \frac{\ dx}{x} = \ ln(x)## for ##x>0##

The Attempt at a Solution

Method 1: Let ##u=2t+1##, ##\frac{1}{2} du=\ dt##.
##\int_0^x \frac{6\ dt}{2t+1}=3\int_1^{2t+1} \frac{du}{u}=3\ ln(u)|_1^{2t+1}=3\ ln(2t+1)##

Method 2: ##\int_0^x \frac{6\ dt}{2t+1}=\frac{0.5}{0.5} \int_0^x \frac{6\ dt}{2t+1}=\int_0^x \frac{3\ dt}{t+\frac{1}{2}}=3\ ln(t+\frac{1}{2})|_0^x=3[\ ln(x+\frac{1}{2})-\ ln(\frac{1}{2})]=3\ ln(\frac{x+\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{1}{2}})##

My book says that method 1 gives the correct answer, but I cannot figure out why method 2 does not.

Edit: Wait, never mind; I think I understand...

##3\ ln(\frac{x+\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{1}{2}})=3\ ln(\frac{2}{2}\frac{x+\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{1}{2}})=3\ ln(\frac{2x+1}{1})=3\ ln(2x+1)-3\ln(1)=3\ ln(2x+1)##

Likes member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica..

1. What is a log integration problem?

A log integration problem is a mathematical calculation that involves finding the integral (or area under the curve) of a logarithmic function. This type of problem often arises in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems in science and engineering.

2. How do I check if my solution to a log integration problem is correct?

To check your solution to a log integration problem, you can use several methods such as integrating by parts, substitution, or using logarithmic identities. It is also helpful to graph the function and compare your solution to the area under the curve. Additionally, you can use online integration calculators or ask a math tutor for assistance.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving log integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving log integration problems include forgetting to use the correct integration rules, not properly simplifying the function before integrating, and making errors in algebraic calculations. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of potential mistakes while solving these types of problems.

4. Can you provide an example of a log integration problem and its solution?

Sure! A common log integration problem is finding the integral of ln(x). Using the integration rule for natural logarithms, the solution is x*ln(x) - x + C. You can check this solution by differentiating it to get back to the original function, ln(x).

5. How can I improve my skills in solving log integration problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving log integration problems is by practicing regularly and seeking help when needed. You can also review integration rules and techniques, as well as familiarize yourself with common mistakes and how to avoid them. Additionally, it is helpful to work on a variety of problems with varying levels of difficulty to improve your problem-solving abilities.