Integrals involving Secant & Tangent Derivation

Thanks for your help! In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the integral \int sec^{2k} x tan^{n} x dx using a trig identity and u substitution. The conversation also addresses a mistake in the initial attempt at a solution and clarifies the breakdown of sec^k.
Nano-Passion

Homework Statement

If the power of the secand is even and positive..
[tex]\int sec^{2k} x tan^{n} x dx = \int (sec^2 x)^{k-1} tan ^n x sec^2 x dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I see it,

[tex] sec^{2k} x = sec^2 x dx * sec^k x dx[/tex]

the next step seems to be to break down sec^k, but on closer introspection, the break down goes something like this

[tex]sec^k x dx = (sec^2 x dx)^{k-1} = sec^{2k-2}x dx[/tex]

I'm having trouble intuitively accepting that something like 2k-2 = k. It doesn't seem to add up, there seems to be something a bit more complex into it that is left out of detail.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to review your exponent rules.

gopher_p said:
You may want to review your exponent rules.

[tex] (x^n)^m = x^{nm}[/tex]
[tex] sec^m x = (sec x)^m[/tex]
[tex] (sec^2 x)^{k-1} = (sec x)^ {(2)(k-1)}[/tex]

OK. If ## x^{nm}=(x^n)^m ## (which is correct), then what is ## x^n\cdot x^m ##?

Nano-Passion said:

Homework Statement

If the power of the secand is even and positive..
[tex]\int sec^{2k} x tan^{n} x dx = \int (sec^2 x)^{k-1} tan ^n x sec^2 x dx [/tex]
This is right, note that there are two terms on the right integral.

Nano-Passion said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I see it,

[tex] sec^{2k} x = sec^2 x dx * sec^k x dx[/tex]

Umm, I don't think that's right remember that [tex]a^{b}*a^{c}=a^{b+c}[/tex]

I also don't know where your [tex]dx[/tex] terms are coming from there.

Nano-Passion said:
the next step seems to be to break down sec^k, but on closer introspection, the break down goes something like this

[tex]sec^k x dx = (sec^2 x dx)^{k-1} = sec^{2k-2}x dx[/tex]

I'm having trouble intuitively accepting that something like 2k-2 = k. It doesn't seem to add up, there seems to be something a bit more complex into it that is left out of detail.

You seem to have multiplied your exponents correctly, but forgot that there is another [tex]sec^{2}x[/tex] term in the right integral up top.

When doing this integral

From here there is a handy trig identity involving [tex]sec^{2}x[/tex] that you can use to make it into something easy to use u substitution on.

gopher_p said:
OK. If ## x^{nm}=(x^n)^m ## (which is correct), then what is ## x^n\cdot x^m ##?

[tex] = x^{n+m}[/tex]

InfinityZero said:
This is right, note that there are two terms on the right integral.
Umm, I don't think that's right remember that [tex]a^{b}*a^{c}=a^{b+c}[/tex]

I also don't know where your [tex]dx[/tex] terms are coming from there.[/tex]

I tend to do silly mistakes sometimes, just ignore them.

You seem to have multiplied your exponents correctly, but forgot that there is another [tex]sec^{2}x[/tex] term in the right integral up top.

When doing this integral

Oh there you go, now I get back the original expression. Thanks. ^.^

From here there is a handy trig identity involving [tex]sec^{2}x[/tex] that you can use to make it into something easy to use u substitution on.

I know about u substitution, the calculation is fairly trivial to me. What I was primarily concerned with is the derivation.

1. What is the formula for finding the integral of secant and tangent?

The formula for finding the integral of secant and tangent is:
∫ sec(x) dx = ln|sec(x) + tan(x)| + C
∫ tan(x) dx = ln|sec(x)| + C

2. How do I solve integrals involving secant and tangent?

To solve integrals involving secant and tangent, you can use the formula for finding the integral or you can rewrite the integral in terms of sine and cosine using the identities:
sec(x) = 1/cos(x)
tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)

3. Can I use substitution to solve integrals with secant and tangent?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve integrals involving secant and tangent. When using substitution, you should substitute the expression inside the secant or tangent function with a new variable, u, and then use the formula for finding the integral.

4. What is the difference between finding the integral of secant and tangent and finding the derivative of secant and tangent?

The main difference between finding the integral and derivative of secant and tangent is the operation used. To find the integral, we are essentially finding the antiderivative, while to find the derivative, we are finding the rate of change at a specific point.

5. Are there any special cases when solving integrals involving secant and tangent?

Yes, there are some special cases when solving integrals involving secant and tangent. For example, when the integral contains both secant and tangent, we can use the u-substitution method or the trigonometric identity:
sec(x)tan(x) = sec(x) - ln|sec(x)| + C