Integrals of PDEs (help needed to interpret theorem)

In summary: The geometric significance of these solutions is that they provide a way of representing physically the curve traced out by a point moving under the influence of a given differential equation.
maverick280857
Hello friends,

I'm reading about PDEs and my textbook lists 'integrals' of the pde

[tex]f(x,y,z,p,q) = 0[/tex]

where [itex]p = \partial z/\partial x[/itex] and [itex]q = \partial z/\partial y[/itex], as

1. Complete Integral
2. General Integral
3. Singular Integral
4. Special Integral (solution that can't be classified into the above three categories...and can't be obtained from the general integral).

Specifically, I have the following questions:

1. What is the geometrical/physical significance of each of these 'integral' solutions, esp the singular solution of the PDE?

2. Let [itex]z = F(x,y,a)[/itex] be a one parameter family of solutions of the above PDE, parametrized by [itex]a[/itex]. Then the envelope of this family, if it exists, also satisfies the PDE. What is the geometrical significance of this theorem?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't sweat the geometric significance of this. You're dealing with 5 dimensions. What helped for me was to get my geometric intuition from the quasi-linear case, and just know that the analysis works for the fully non-linear case.

Part answer and new question

It is not 5-D it is 3-D surely?

But it would be good to get it straight for 2D firstly, then AFAIK there are not big differences of principle for other D but I stand to be corrected.

It would be pretty obvious to you if you found them illustrated, or if you use a graphic plotter and plot a family [itex]F(x,y,a) = 0[/itex]
For 2D and equation f(x, y, dy/dx) = 0, with a family of solutions g(x, y, c) = 0 depending on a parameter a, you may have a continuous curve (called the envelope) whose slope at every point is equal to that in the parameter dependent solution. Therefore this curve also satisfies the differential equation f = 0. Better an example: for instance to the equation

dy/dx = y^(1/2)

there is the family of solutions y = (x – a)^2 . Each of these solutions is a curve with a minimum at y = 0, i.e. dy/dx = 0 at y = 0 so satisfying also the d.e. just given. y = 0 is a singular solution of the given d.e.

I always found singular solutions appealing because of their unlooked-for character. I wonder if there are any examples of where they are of any interest in general dynamics? A point traveling along a general solution and hopping onto a singular one when it mneets it? It should only be able to hop off if and when it gets back to the original point. Imagine there are no examples.

For a general first-order equation in two variables, you have to solve a system of 5 ODEs.

Related to Integrals of PDEs (help needed to interpret theorem)

1. What is the purpose of integrating PDEs?

Integrating PDEs allows us to find a solution that satisfies the given boundary conditions and accurately represents the behavior of a physical system. It also helps in simplifying the equation and making it easier to solve.

2. How do you interpret the theorem for integrating PDEs?

The theorem for integrating PDEs states that if we have a linear PDE with constant coefficients and homogeneous boundary conditions, then the solution can be represented as a linear combination of exponential functions. This means that the solution can be expressed in terms of a sum of exponential functions, each multiplied by a constant coefficient.

3. What are the key steps in integrating PDEs?

The key steps in integrating PDEs include identifying the type of PDE (elliptic, parabolic, or hyperbolic), transforming the equation into a standard form, applying boundary conditions, and solving the resulting equation using the method of separation of variables or other suitable techniques.

4. Can integrating PDEs be used for real-world applications?

Yes, integrating PDEs is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to model and understand real-world phenomena. It is particularly useful in predicting the behavior of complex systems and making accurate predictions.

5. What are some common challenges in integrating PDEs?

Some common challenges in integrating PDEs include identifying the appropriate boundary conditions, dealing with nonlinear or variable coefficients, and solving the resulting equations. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying physical system and mathematical techniques.