Integrate $$y= \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2},~y=0,~x=0,~x=1$$

In summary: You can try integrating the equation by hand, or you could try using a calculator to integrate it. I'm not sure which approach is easier, but I suggest you try both and see which one is easier for you.
Jovy

Homework Statement

[/B]

$$y= \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2},~y=0,~x=0,~x=1$$

Homework Equations

$$Volume=2\pi\int_a^b p(x)h(x)dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do the problem, I'm just having trouble integrating.
##h(x)=\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2},~ p(x)=x##
And you just plug that into the equation.
When you integrate ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}x## , you use the chain rule right? But first you move the constant ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}## out of the integral next to the ##2\pi##
So it would look like this, ##Volume=2\pi~\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}~\int_0^1~ xe^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}dx##

I know the anti derivative of ##e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2} is, e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}## and then you have to do the anti derivative of ## { \frac{- x^2} 2}## as part of the chain rule right? Well, that is where I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jovy:

I suggest you investigate the substitution u = (x^2)/2, du = x dx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Jovy
Jovy said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

Homework Equations

When you integrate ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}x## , you use the chain rule right? But first you move the constant ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}## out of the integral next to the ##2\pi##
So it would look like this, ##Volume=2\pi~\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}~\int_0^1~ xe^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}dx##

I know the anti derivative of ##e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2} is, e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}## and then you have to do the anti derivative of ## { \frac{- x^2} 2}## as part of the chain rule right? Well, that is where I get stuck.

No, the antiderivative of ##e^{-x^2/2}## is a non-elementary function. In other words, it is not possible to write down the antiderivative in a finite number of terms involving the standard functions. Even if you try to write it down in 1 billion pages of horrible algebra, you cannot do it.

Fortunately, you don't need the antiderivative of ##e^{-x^2/2}##, but of ##x e^{-x^2/2}## instead, and that is a much different story.

Jovy said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

What exactly is the problem? All you have given us is an equation in x and y, but you haven't said what it is you're supposed to do?

From your attempt below, it would seem that you're trying to find the volume of a surface of revolution, but there is no clue above that that's what you need to do.
Jovy said:

Homework Equations

What is the purpose of this integration problem?

The purpose of this integration problem is to find the area under the curve of the given function between the limits of x=0 and x=1. This area represents the probability of a random variable with a standard normal distribution falling within the given range.

What is the meaning of the given function and limits?

The given function is a probability density function for a standard normal distribution. The limits of integration, x=0 and x=1, represent the range of values for which we want to find the probability.

What is the process for solving this integration problem?

The process for solving this integration problem involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the limits of integration. In this case, we will need to use a table of standard integrals or a computer program to find the antiderivative of the given function, and then substitute the limits of x=0 and x=1 to calculate the area under the curve.

Why is this integration problem important in science?

This integration problem is important in science because it is commonly used in statistical analysis and probability calculations. Many scientific experiments and studies involve collecting data that can be represented by a normal distribution, and integration is used to calculate the probabilities of certain outcomes.

What are some real-world applications of this integration problem?

This integration problem has many real-world applications, including in finance, engineering, and physics. It can be used to calculate the probability of stock prices falling within a certain range, the likelihood of a bridge or building failing under certain conditions, or the chance of a particle having a certain energy level. It is also used in the field of data science for analyzing large datasets and making predictions based on probability distributions.