Integrating Equation 1: Understanding the Answer

In summary: I think the answer is correct but the textbook is wrong.In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to an equation in which the answer is given as u = f(x) + f(y). However, the speaker realizes that this cannot be correct according to the mixed derivative theorem. The conversation then delves into the different ways of integrating the equation and concludes that the textbook may have made a mistake in not showing the full working.
humphreybogart
I am working my way through a textbook, and whenever this equation is solved (integrated), the answer is given as:

u = f(x) + f(y)

I don't understand it. If I integrate it once (with respect to y, say), then I obtain:

∂u/∂x = f(x) -----eq.1

If I integrate again (this time with respect to x), then I obtain:

u = xf(x) + f(y)

I know that this can't be correct because the mixed derivative theorem says that if I went the other way (integrating with respect to x and then y), I should get the same answer. But I can't see how integrating eq.1 doesn't produce and 'x' infront of the arbitrary function.

Likes Floydd
Physics news on Phys.org
1) ## \int f(x) dx \neq xf(x) ##
2) ## \frac {\partial u}{\partial x}=F(x) \Rightarrow u=\underbrace{\int F(x) dx}_{f(x)}+g(y)\Rightarrow u=f(x)+g(y) ##.

Excellent. Got it now. Not seeing 1) is my fault. Not showing 2) in the working is the textbook's. :P

humphreybogart said:
I am working my way through a textbook, and whenever this equation is solved (integrated), the answer is given as:

u = f(x) + f(y)
Wouldn't it be u = f(x) + g(y)? It wouldn't be the same function for both.

1. What is the purpose of integrating Equation 1?

The purpose of integrating Equation 1 is to find the area under the curve of a function. This is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology, as it allows us to calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume.

2. What is Equation 1 and why is it important?

Equation 1 refers to the basic formula for integration, which is the reverse process of differentiation. It is important because it allows us to find the exact value of a function at any point, rather than just its rate of change. This is crucial in many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or determining the growth rate of a population.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact numerical value of the integral, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. In other words, definite integration gives a specific answer, while indefinite integration gives a formula that can be used to find multiple answers.

4. How do you solve an integral using Equation 1?

To solve an integral using Equation 1, you must first identify the function being integrated and any known limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and find the solution. It may also be helpful to use a table of common integrals or a graphing calculator to check your work.

5. Are there any real-world applications of integrating Equation 1?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of integrating Equation 1. For example, in physics, integration is used to calculate the work done by a force, the displacement of an object, and the energy stored in a system. In economics, integration is used to find the total revenue or profit of a business. In chemistry, integration is used to calculate reaction rates and concentrations. These are just a few examples, as integration is a fundamental tool in many scientific fields.