Integrating factor of (a+1)ydx + (b+1)xdy = 0

In summary, the equation (a+1)ydx+(b+1)xdy=0 can be integrated using the factor xαyβ. However, this method won't work if α and β are not equal. The equation becomes ((a+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta+1})dx+ ((b+1)x^{\alpha+1}y^{\beta})dy, which can be solved for xayb using the substitution xαyβ.
asdf1
for the equation, (a+1)ydx+(b+1)xdy=0,
i am wondering how to get (x^a)(y^b) as an integrating factor~

the following is my work:

(1/F)(dF/dx)=(a-b)/[(b+1)x]
=> F=cx^[(a-b)/(b+1)]

why doesn't that method work?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what you are doing. What happened to y?

The simplest way to get the integrating factor is just to try an integrating factor of the form xαyβ. The equation becomes
[tex]((a+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta+1})dx+ ((b+1)x^{\alpha+1}y^{\beta})dy[/tex]

In order for that to be exact, we must have
[tex]((a+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta+1})_y= ((b+1)x^{\alpha+1}y^{\beta})_x[/tex]
or
[tex](a+1)(\beta+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta}= (b+1)(\alpha+1)xx^{\alpha}y^{\beta}[/tex]
That will clearly be true if α= a and β= b. Therefore xayb is an integrating factor.

wow! how'd you think of trying the integrating factor of the form (x^α)(y^β)?

HallsofIvy said:
It's not clear to me what you are doing. What happened to y?

The simplest way to get the integrating factor is just to try an integrating factor of the form xαyβ. The equation becomes
[tex]((a+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta+1})dx+ ((b+1)x^{\alpha+1}y^{\beta})dy[/tex]

In order for that to be exact, we must have
[tex]((a+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta+1})_y= ((b+1)x^{\alpha+1}y^{\beta})_x[/tex]
or
[tex](a+1)(\beta+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta}= (b+1)(\alpha+1)xx^{\alpha}y^{\beta}[/tex]
That will clearly be true if α= a and β= b. Therefore xayb is an integrating factor.

Well, shouldn't that be:

[tex](a+1)(\beta+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta}= (b+1)(\alpha+1)x^{\alpha}y^{\beta}[/tex]

Just want to be precise that's all.

hmmm... i looked up an edition of advanced engineering mathematics, and i saw a little description of that kind of substition, but it didn't explain why...
:P

Related to Integrating factor of (a+1)ydx + (b+1)xdy = 0

1. What is the purpose of the integrating factor in this equation?

The integrating factor is used to simplify the process of solving the given differential equation. It is a function that is multiplied to both sides of the equation to make it easier to integrate.

2. How do you determine the integrating factor for this specific equation?

The integrating factor can be found by dividing the coefficient of the differential term with the coefficient of the variable without a differential term. In this case, the integrating factor is (b+1)/(a+1).

3. Can any function be used as the integrating factor for this equation?

No, the integrating factor must satisfy a specific condition in order to simplify the equation. It must be a function of only one variable and its derivative must be equal to the coefficient of the differential term.

4. What is the benefit of using an integrating factor?

Using an integrating factor can make the process of solving a differential equation easier and more straightforward. It can also help to identify a particular solution to the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using an integrating factor?

One limitation is that the integrating factor may not always be easy to determine, especially for more complex equations. Additionally, using an integrating factor may not always lead to a solution for the differential equation.