Integrating (sin(x))/x dx -- The limits are a=0 and b=infinitity

In summary, this integral can be solved by many methods, but the most elementary is Dirchlet Integral.
notamathgod
Homework Statement
I tired integration by parts but it leads me nowhere. How do you solve this using methods of integration that you learn early on. (U-sub - importer integrals)?
Relevant Equations
is this integral possible to solve without using feynamns technique?
U= 1/x dV= sin(x)
dU = -1/x^2dx V= -cos(x). lim b--> infiniti (integral from [0,b]) = 1/x(-cos(x)) - integral(1/x^2(cos(x)) dx

Physics news on Phys.org
notamathgod said:
U= 1/x dV= sin(x)
dU = -1/x^2dx V= -cos(x). lim b--> infiniti (integral from [0,b]) = 1/x(-cos(x)) - integral(1/x^2(cos(x)) dx
You might try this (which I haven't worked through):
Working with an indefinite integral, use integration by parts twice, the first time with u = sin(x), dv = dx/x. The second time through pick u = cos(x).
You might end up with the same integral you started with, in which case you can solve algebraically for the integral. If this works, then use limits to evaluate the improper integral.

Again, I haven't worked it through, but that's the tack I would start with.

BTW, "infiniti" is a word cooked up by the marketing weasels at a car company. The word you want is infinity, with a 'y'.

Mark44 said:
You might try this (which I haven't worked through):
Working with an indefinite integral, use integration by parts twice, the first time with u = sin(x), dv = dx/x. The second time through pick u = cos(x).
You might end up with the same integral you started with, in which case you can solve algebraically for the integral. If this works, then use limits to evaluate the improper integral.

Again, I haven't worked it through, but that's the tack I would start with.

BTW, "infiniti" is a word cooked up by the marketing weasels at a car company. The word you want is infinity, with a 'y'.

All the standard methods are inapplicable: the integration
$$S(x) = \int \frac{\sin(x)}{x} \, dx$$ is provably non-elementary. That means that it is provably impossible to write down the indefinite integral as a finite expression in "elementary" functions. Even if you allow for a 100-billion page formula, that would not be enough to express the integration. (On the other hand, a simple expression involving an infinite series can be given for ##S(x)##, but an infinite series is not, formally, a finite expression.)

However, certain special cases are do-able---not by finding antiderivatives, but by using other methods such as contour integration. For example, the definite integral
$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin(x)}{x} \, dx$$ is well-known, and can be looked up in books or on-line.

First you need to prove that ##\frac{sin(x)}{x}## is trivial at ##x = 0##, to calculate out integral##I = \int_0^{\infty} \frac {sin(x)} {x}##, you can first solve the integral ##\int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-ax} sin(x)} {x} dx##, let ##I(a) = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-ax} sin(x)} {x} dx##, then ## I^{'}(a) = -\int_0^{\infty} e^{-ax} sin(x)dx = -\frac{1}{a^2+1}## (1),which means ##I(a) = -\arctan(a) + C##, since ##I(\infty) = 0##, ##C = \frac {\pi} {2}##. Hence, ##\lim_{a \rightarrow 0} I(a) = I = \frac {\pi} {2}##(2). To know why (1) (2) are reasonable, you are advised to read Rudin's Principle. This integral can also be solved by Dirchlet Integral, which is more elementary and trivial.

1. What is the significance of integrating (sin(x))/x dx?

The integral of (sin(x))/x is a special function known as the sine integral, denoted as Si(x). It is an important function in mathematics and physics, and has applications in areas such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and statistics.

2. What is the limit of the integral when a=0 and b approaches infinity?

When a=0 and b approaches infinity, the integral of (sin(x))/x approaches the value of pi/2, or approximately 1.5708. This is because the sine integral function is asymptotic to pi/2 as x approaches infinity.

3. Can the integral of (sin(x))/x be evaluated using elementary functions?

No, the integral of (sin(x))/x cannot be evaluated using elementary functions such as polynomials, logarithms, or trigonometric functions. It can only be approximated using numerical methods.

4. How is the integral of (sin(x))/x related to the Fresnel integral?

The Fresnel integral is a special case of the sine integral, where the upper limit of integration is infinity. It is denoted as S(x) and is related to the sine integral by the equation S(x) = (pi/2) - Si(x).

5. Are there any real-world applications of the integral of (sin(x))/x?

Yes, the sine integral has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and statistics. For example, it is used in the analysis of electrical circuits, the calculation of magnetic fields, and in the study of random processes.