Integrating Trig: Solving Definite Integrals with Sin and Cos

In summary, to integrate the expression \int_{0}^{1}\left(\sin{2x}*\cos{2x}\right)dx, we can use the double angle formula to change the integrand to (1/2)\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sin{4x}\right)dx. Then, by substituting u = sin(2x) and using the formula \int\left(\sin{bx}\right)dx = (1/-b)\cos{bx}, we can simplify the integral to \frac{1}{4}sin^2(2).
MathGnome
Ok, so we have

[itex]\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sin{2x}*\cos{2x}\right)dx[/itex]

Using the double angle forumla we change the integrand

[itex](1/2)\int_{0}^{1}\left(2*\sin{2x}*\cos{2x}\right)dx[/itex]

which converts to

[itex](1/2)\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sin{4x}\right)dx[/itex]

This is where I run into trouble... I'm trying to use the formula
[itex]\int\left(\sin{bx}\right)dx = (1/-b)\cos{bx}[/itex]

but my answers are not working. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the fact this is a deffinite integral... any help?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
MathGnome said:
Ok, so we have

[itex]\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sin{2x}*\cos{2x}\right)dx[/itex]

Using the double angle forumla we change the integrand

[itex](1/2)\int_{0}^{1}\left(2*\sin{2x}*\cos{2x}\right)dx[/itex]

which converts to

[itex](1/2)\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sin{4x}\right)dx[/itex]

This is where I run into trouble... I'm trying to use the formula
[itex]\int\left(\sin{bx}\right)dx = (1/-b)\cos{bx}[/itex]

but my answers are not working. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the fact this is a deffinite integral... any help?

Thx

How are you answers not working?

[tex]-\frac{1}{4}\cos{4x}\bigvert|_0^1[/tex]

As long as you know the value of cos(0), you shouldn't have any trouble!

... *sigh* I was so used to seeing a 0 and just subtracting by 0 that I forgot cos(0) is in fact NOT 0... Is it bad that I take shortcuts without even realizing I'm taking them? :cry:

EDIT: I meant WRONG shortcuts =)

By the way, I would not have worried about combining those trig functions.

To integrate [tex]\int_0^1 sin(2x)cos(2x)dx[/tex] just note that the sine and cosine are both to an odd exponent (1). Let u= sin(2x) so that du= 2 cos(2x)dx or (1/2)du= cos(2x)dx. When x= 0, u= sin(0)= 0, when x= 1, u= sin(2). The integral becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{sin(2)}udu[/tex]
which equals
[tex]\frac{1}{4}u^2[/tex] evaluated between 0 and sin(2) and is
[tex]\frac{1}{4}sin^2(2)[/tex]

Related to Integrating Trig: Solving Definite Integrals with Sin and Cos

1. How do I solve definite integrals involving sin and cos?

To solve definite integrals involving sin and cos, you will need to use the trigonometric identities and substitution. First, rewrite the integral using trigonometric identities such as sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. Then, use substitution by letting u equal one of the trigonometric functions in the integral. Finally, evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

2. Can I use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral?

Yes, you can use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. These identities, such as sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, can help you rewrite the integral in a more manageable form. This will make it easier to evaluate the integral using substitution and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. Are there any special cases when solving definite integrals with sin and cos?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when solving definite integrals with sin and cos. One common case is when the limits of integration involve special angles such as 0, π/2, or π. In these cases, you can use the values of sin and cos at these angles to simplify the integral.

4. How can I check my answer when solving definite integrals with sin and cos?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of your result and comparing it to the original integrand. If the derivative matches the original integrand, then you have solved the integral correctly. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot your integrand and the antiderivative to visually check if they match.

5. Are there any tips for solving definite integrals with sin and cos?

One helpful tip is to always double-check your work by plugging in the limits of integration into your final answer. This will ensure that your result satisfies the given limits and is not just a general solution. Additionally, practicing with various trigonometric identities and substitution techniques will make solving these integrals easier and more efficient.